Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2003, 06:40 PM

Default Help from all you guys in post

Hi guys
this is a bit off topic but a wanted to know is anyone can help me with some planning work for a new post house Im working with. Here is the problem.
They are running 2 rooms, one tools, one fairlight
both connected to a main server to store finished mixes to lay back in the vision edit suite.
The avid suite is fine but they also have a tape based suite as well. Does anyone know how to be able to have a mac/pc set up in the edit suite to be able to call up the files and have them lock to tape (timecode)?
ie: editor finds file on server
calls it up in audio program
audio file knows in timecode where it is supposed to be
audio program locks to tape timecode
Thanks heaps in advance
Cheers
Laswell
Old 05-30-2003, 05:35 AM

Default Re: Help from all you guys in post

Just for laybacks?

I'm not sure that you can do this with an "audio program" alone... A smaller PTHD or Mix rig with a USD or Sync I/O (to lock to timecode, or to generate timecode and have the deck lock to PT) would work. However I'm under the impression that the LE and free versions of PT either do not allow for SMPTE synchronization, or do, but don't have a timecode timeline available [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Then, you might look into the offerings of other companies for your layback device.

Off the top of my head, if it were me, I'd get the cheapest PTMix rig I could find (since for tape laybacks you won't need DSP nor high sample rates), a USD, the cheapest I/O you can find, and for a little extra $, string a Benchmark DAC-1 off the I/O's AES outs for 2-channels of nice sounding D/A conversion.

For all I know there might be something comparable you could put together with a Powerbook, some MIDI/audio app and a PCMCIA interface.. but I'm not at all expert in that area.

-dave
Old 06-01-2003, 07:49 PM

bump
Old 06-02-2003, 06:55 AM

You should post your message in the tdm post and surround message board, you'll get more responses over there.

good luck.