Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 05-12-2001, 10:39 AM

Default Latency depends on CPU power?

(I dont own a Digi001 yet, so please exuse the stupid question)
As I understand it, latency refers to the time lapse when recording a track & monitoring it at the same time, like for headphone mixes, etc.
I understand that low latency mon. bypasses plugins for the mon. mix.
My question: Does latency decrease when CPU power increases? If I were to take the plunge, I would probably get a 1.33 ghz machine, or similar monster system.
I had thought about using a mixer (alesis studio32) like suggested on the DUC, but the outs on each channel are not bal. TRS, they're unbal. I would insist upon staying bal. if I can.
Also, what kind of latency are we talking about? Is it too drastic to use without a mixer?
Thanks to all,
Tomtrb
Old 05-12-2001, 11:11 AM

Default Re: Latency depends on CPU power?

Hi Tom-
First of all, I believe you are mistaken about the Alesis Studio 32. It's been several years since I had a hands on with this board but I can't imagine Alesis would design an unbalanced console.This quote from the product description on their web site "The Studio 32 easily connects to a variety of gear using either balanced or unbalanced signal levels, with 1/4" TRS jacks handling most interfacing duties."
As to the latency issue, I can't speak for other CPU's... I have a P3800EB... the delay is unnoticable operating in low latency mode. Hopefull others will add their 2 cents.
Old 05-12-2001, 01:26 PM

Thanks for the reply JMS40,
If you dont have a problem w/latency, then I figure Ill be OK. About the Studio 32, the reason I said it was unbalanced was b/c on the alesis site, when they list the rear panel jacks, they dont specify TRS, but they do when they list the headphone jacks. I know very little about mixers in general, which is why Im asking. If those other connections are standard balanced, then I guess that all of them are, but I want to verify.
Thanks alot,
Tomtrb
Old 05-12-2001, 02:42 PM

I figured it out,
The Studio 32 is a balanced console thru and thru. It will work great with the setup I have in mind.
C-ya,
Tom
Old 05-14-2001, 02:04 AM

Latency:
The latency is always the same from the moment you choose the number of data to be buffered. Latency on PTLE goes from 128 to 1024 samples. 128 isn't noticable and the 1024 got about one sec delay.
The CPU itself doesn't change the latency as it got free resources.
PTLE is like outboardfx+mixers.
The EFFECTs (Inserts) is in process mode all the even not in p/b. They consume a bit less CPU but they do consume when not in P/B.
With a 1.1Ghz you'll have enough horse power to keep low latency (you'll won't hear it and you should forget to console monitoring unless you like me want to amplify the signal being monitored (I do that for singers when I don't want to audio to be record in such high level but I do want them to hear themselves).
Higher CPU enables more plugins and quicker system response.