Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 06-09-2003, 04:33 PM

Default About to take the PLUNGE

Hello friends,

After working with Protools LE for a year, Ive decided to take the plunge to Protools HD. I do lots of commercial rap/r&b and started scoring orchestral music for video games. This means lots of Gigastudios which means lots of digial inputs and lots of tracks. Anyways, I wanted to get some of your insights on such a move...

Even though the PC people have caught up to the MAC people on the LE level, am I much better off going with MAC for Protools HD? Looks like they get a lot more support and plugins...

I was also considering purchasing the MOTU MK3 that basically does a lot of the same things but at a much lower price. What do you guys think is Protools HD's greatest advantage over something like the MK3 with Cubase or Digital Performer that justifies the high price tag? I mean...adding two 8 channel light pipes to your HD system costs about $3,000! (192 digital I/O).Please let me know your thoughts! Thank you so much for your help.
Old 06-09-2003, 06:18 PM

Default Re: About to take the PLUNGE

The main advantage HD has is the fact that you already know ProTools. The speed and simplicity of PT is still the leader in audio editing IMHO.

Also, I am confident that PT has the best sounding plugins out there. MAS and VST aren't even close.

Lastly, if you go HD, definitely go Mac. Otherwise you won't have the advantage of many of the hippest plugins.

Life without McDSP would really suck.
Old 06-09-2003, 06:22 PM

Oh by the way,

If you can't afford HD, why not get a refurbished Mix Plus from Digi??

Then you can get an Adat Bridge (with 16 channels of ADAT i/o) and a couple of nice converters with lightpipe input and output and then you're done.

Still have a butt load of plugins, tons of tracks, and DSP as well.

Just a thought...
Old 06-09-2003, 06:35 PM

This is a very common thing these days, I should know... I put a fair amount of them out there While the MOTU 2408mk3 is a great interface, it's still a native system no matter what you do. There really are some great software programs out there such as Digital Performer, Logic, Nuendo and yes... ProToolsLE> BUT there is NOTHING like an HD system. Yes, you have the processing for real-time monitoring without latency... but it's what is going inside the TDM engine that is so different. I wouldn't hesitate to go with a properly designed PC on LE, but not for HD... there just aren't any plugins out there really for PC. At some point, I'm sure this will change but for now... I wouln't do it.

If you're looking at an HD setup for your needs and price is an issue, you should re-think your approach. I tell my clients you buy ProTools HD because it's the best system out there for performance, not because it's affordable. It's a professional system and is worth every penny....
blyons@gcpro.com
www.theaudioprofessional.com
Old 06-09-2003, 06:54 PM

Thank you for your replies..I'm planning on doing music for video games with the HD system. Is HD conducive to that without buying lots of extra software? Seems like many people in this field lean towards DP or Logic.. I would assume I would just use quicktime for video and deliver any other tracks in wav redbook format. Also, how are the Midi capabilities in PT 6.0? And finally, is there a difference between Protools HD list price and actual retail price? Thanks a lot!