Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 08-22-2005, 11:58 PM

Default Can Pro Tools Rip MP3 on the fly?

Hi,

On the weekend coming up, my local radio station is going to be broadcasting 2.5 days with of rare live recordings, and basically I'm trying to figure out how I can capture this with out having to stayed glued to the radio for whole weekend. I've a Digi 001, OSX 10.3.8 Pro Tools 6.4.something, G4 dual 1.25 and I was wondering if could use this to capture it. I've read some where that Pro Tools has MP3 ripping capabilities (I've only really used it for recording my band live so far), and I was wondering if it could do this on the fly (or do you have to save a wave file then convert it later?). I was thinking of connecting my radio (the station does do a net broadcast but I've found it to be poor quality!) to either the 001 Box or the Mic in on the Mac and some how ripping the audio on the fly.

If you can do this with Pro Tools, is it sustainable for 2.5 days (I've got 120 Gb of HD to fill) with out crashing the system? If Pro Tools can't do it, can something like garage band or something else? (I don't have it, but I could borrow a setup that does).
Any ideas?

I've since done a bit of a search on the net and found there are plenty of programs around that do this to a certain extent. Can it be done with Pro Tools? And would any of these other programs be able to handle this for 2.5 days?
And secondly can get PT to record from the on board line in rather than the 001 box?
Old 08-23-2005, 03:29 AM

Default Re: Can Pro Tools Rip MP3 on the fly?

I dont think you can record mp3 on the fly but if you have QT pro (7) you can record direct to AAC.
I think 2.5 days straight in one file is asking for disaster.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:51 AM

HI,

or you can try Wiretab from here:

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/wiretap/

can record from the Mac line/mic in to mp3, aac, etc. for $19

regs
Old 08-23-2005, 06:28 PM

Thankyou !!!

Wiretap looks like just the thing I need.
I can't use QT 7 because it interfers with the 001 box. Can't use anything above 10.3.8, unless someone worked something out and I haven't been told about it?

Do you know if Panther has many background processes running? I would like to cut all the overheads for this operation so that wiretap and what ever else is necessary, are the only things running. Hopefully 1 Gb Ram and 120 Gb Hd with the dual 1.25 should be enough to handle it.

Just as a matter aside, how can you get Pro tools to recognise the onboard sound channels? When I look at the Input settings, it seems to only recognise the 001 box. I assume somehow that I'd need to redirect one of the Buses to the on board sound?

Hey Aussie John, if you are wondering what I'm trying to record it's the Triple J Impossible Music festival, broadcast this weekend from Friday afternoon till Sunday Night. The line up is on the triple J site. http://www.triplej.net.au/livemusic/
There is some cool stuff in there over the last 20 years. Although I will be cutting some of it (the Wiretap program allows you to schedule recordings). Heres to hoping that Triple J keep to their schedule.
Probably not entirely legal to record it, but I've never heard of anyone being done for recording the radio before (or Taping a TV show).
Old 08-24-2005, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Just as a matter aside, how can you get Pro tools to recognise the onboard sound channels? When I look at the Input settings, it seems to only recognise the 001 box. I assume somehow that I'd need to redirect one of the Buses to the on board sound?

Panther should handle that with ease. MP3 conversion is a on the fly things these days.

The old WireTap tended to have some hick ups/pops with SCSI drives but the internal IDEs seem quite reliable.

Also into account that the 001 inputs are far better than the G4 line inputs.

You can´t run PT on anything else than digi Hardware!!!

there is a FREE version that uses the Soundmanager but (if you haven´t guessed it already)
only for OS9.