Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2005, 09:24 AM

Default 002 and adat

I have a 002 and 2 adats. I want to transfer a 16 track session from adat to PT.
I guess only one adat can connect via light pipe.

My question is about sync.
Does the adat and 002 sync through lightpipe?
...so that I can transfer two tapes...
Thanks,
Jared
Old 01-15-2005, 09:31 AM

Default Re: 002 and adat

Just dump them in 8 at a time and then nudge them. It's good practice. Just make sure to make the 2nd group of tracks into an Edit Group so they move together. Or, you could do 8 via ADAT and 8 via TRS ins, of course.
Old 01-15-2005, 09:35 AM

so they are NOT able to sync through lightpipe?
Old 01-15-2005, 10:32 AM

Just keep an eye on latency on the mix faders. The ADAT sync's to the session clock. It is best to sync to the external (ADAT) clock. A simple test tone will tell you if you have latency issues.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:11 AM

So can the two machines sync through lightpipe?
Or not? I'm still unclear on that...

002 to adat with two lightpipe cables - in and out...do they sync this way?

anyone know? please please
Old 01-16-2005, 09:11 AM

Each set of 8 tracks will sync to each other if you transfer them all at the same time. Each set of 8 tracks will need to be transferred separately since there is only one ADAT port on the 002, so the two SETS won't be in sync unless you have a midi box like the MOTU MTP A/V with a specific ADAT sync port and set up an SMPTE start time. You would need to read the manual to set up the sync with that specific device.

However, if you already have an audible count-off at the beginning of the tape, then you can just line up the sixteen tracks using the audible count-off as your "alignment tone", so to speak.

Otherwise, just record what they call a "two-pop" tone (two 1 second tones one second apart) of some kind (a sharp transient like a click is best) before the beginning of the song on the ADAT - recording it to all sixteen tracks at once.

Then, it's a simple matter to get them lined up with sample accurate timing using the two-pop for your guide. As some else said, though, make sure you set up two "edit groups" in PT: one for each group of eight tracks so you can move them all together.

It's actually harder to explain than to do. You can theoretically use up to 32 tracks "flown-in" like this as long as you have the two-pop or other reference on each of the ADAT tracks to line them up in the PT session.

A couple of other things to watch out for:
1. ADATs are normally recorded at 48K, not 44.1, so set your PT session up at that sample rate. You will need to do some sort of sample rate conversion before you burn to CD - but that's the nature of ADAT's, not a PT issue.
2. When you are recording the tracks, set your clock source in PT to "ADAT" or "external", so you clock from the ADAT. If you don't, you WILL get clicks. Then, once they're transferred, set the sync back to internal (or your normal clock source).

The above should clear it up for you.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:05 PM

Hey thanks for the replies.

I used the click trick a few times with transfers from 2".
That works fine for me, unfortunately my client has a different thing he wants.

I'm trying to figure out if one adat can sync with the 002 through lightpipe.
... or do I need the external sync box that costs money? ... that we dont want to spend on an external sync box.
I thought, if one adat could sync to the 002 with lightpipe (or visa versa), then I could transfer the two tapes no prob.
Two passes and kablippo. Feel me knockin? That would be great.
He could do the transfers whenever he needs them. He has piles of adat material.
My other option is to transfer it at the studio with HD.
That would be the easiest, but the clients studio should be in working order, aside from the $$ for the studio time.

Anyway, I dont have the gear in front of me or I would just try to sync the two machines together through lightpipe myself. I could figure out if it would work, but I just dont have the gear here.

Thanks for the help
Jared
Old 01-17-2005, 11:55 AM

Get yourself a DATASYNC2 by JL Cooper and you'll be sorted!!
Cheap and cheerful but it works great!
You can then transfer 8 tracks at a time and it all locks up!
Class

Hotso