How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-09-2008, 11:31 AM

Default Problem with recording MIDI piano sustain pedal

Hi Everyone !
I have DIGI 002R, MidiExpress (MOTU), 88 keys kbd controller, and I use all sorts of sound modules, both hardware, and software. The monitoring latency is a drag when using virtual instruments (why can't they overcome this simple problem ? I guess it's just the way Digi 002 works). Anyway, When I play MIDI keyboard with transport stopped everything is OK. The minute I start recording MIDI all of the sudden sustain pedal drops off notes erratically, for no apparent reason. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes I can record for 20 seconds fine, and than all of a sudden the sustain pedal doesn't hold notes, drops off, only to come back fine few seconds later! Surprisingly all of the 64 messages are recorded by the MIDI track, and on the playback they sound fine. It's just DURING recording, that sustain pedal behaves erratically. I've tried several different keyboards, different sustain pedals. I even tried to connect Yamaha MO 8 directly to USB bypassing MOTU. All the same. The same thing happens when I use hardware synths ( no monitoring latency thank goodness !!). The sustain pedal is always unpredictable. It ruins my MIDI performance. I was never able to record MIDI properly on Pro Tools. I always recorded audio directly anyway, bypassing MIDI all together when it comes down to piano, electric piano, solo synths etc. This time I have a serious project, that specifically calls for MIDI grand piano data. With this project it's essential to deliver great MIDI piano performance. I've tried to record audio, and MIDI at the same time. When I record just audio, it's fine, pristine etc. The second I start recording MIDI along with audio, the sustain pedal drops off again. What's going on ???? Did anyone experience this problem before, or it's just me ? Any response deeply appreciated.
Chris7514