Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 09-24-2013, 06:58 AM

Default New Imacs Out Today (Haswell)

Apple has just come out with updated Imacs. Design and configurations are the same, but now has new Haswell processors, updated and faster graphics and Wi-Fi (802 ac), and improvements to Fusion and Flash storage.

http://www.apple.com/imac/performance/
Old 09-24-2013, 07:22 AM

Default Re: New Imacs Out Today (Haswell)

Trying to decide if it's time to part with my 2009 27" imac. I'm assuming that if the 2012 thin imacs were quiet, that these ones should run even cooler/quieter with the haswell processors.

I'm glad these are shipping with Mountain Lion, that will make upgrading a lot less of a headache(Who knows what mavericks will break). Just wondering how much of a bump in performance there will be too. I really don't need more power, but I do want thunderbolt and usb3 so that I can get into a better storage setup(really tired of dealing with multiple external drives).

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 09-24-2013, 07:38 AM

Default Re: New Imacs Out Today (Haswell)

So does anyone know how many USB busses the new imacs have? Are all 4 ports a single usb3 bus, or is each one independent, or is it 2 usb ports per bus?

I've read on the macgurus site that usb3 busses on a mac are limited to 205MB/s, which is still fast, but considerably slower than the usb3 spec. Just trying to see how far I can push usb3 with one of these things.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?