Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2008, 12:00 PM

Default Digi Tech Suppport? Pfft!!! Mbox/Mbox academic Questions

First off,
I bought forty-seven (47) Mbox2's at the end of last fiscal year. I then installed the 47 Mbox2's at the end of the academic school year. Because I could not open up every box and test it with my OS image that I made for all 47 stations, Digi is now disregarding my need for Tech Support.

So I buy 11K worth of Mboxs and they tell me to email them because the time between the Fiscal year and Academic year is too long for them to now help out.

First off, That is just disrespectful.

They sat in a closet until the classrooms cleared out and that has voided any free tech support... Gimme a break. Not to mention, I have bought almost 100K of Digi gear in the past 5 years.

Shouldn't there be some kind of financial threshold that says when you invest so much money in one companies products you can get a dedicated line without somebody just reading Que sheets on the other end of the phone.

Alright rant over...

On to the problem.
I bought 47 Mboxs and some of them came silk screened with 'academic' on the front (14 to be exact).
So, I built an OS image that is identical to each machine. When booting up logic, the stations with the 'Mbox academic' interfaces are not recognized by Logic. This is because it is choosing the Mbox Driver, not the Mbox Academic Driver. The user has to then go in and manually change the driver.
In addition, other machines that have the academic interface sometimes choose Mbox as its default driver and not the academic.

The whole point of buying 47 of the same interfaces was so that we could maintain one OS image and not have to deal with multiple images like we did with our last interfaces (16 002s and 31 Mbox 1.0s). This was part of our reinvestment reasoning.

Digi will not even field my questions over the phone and academic superstore has no intention of helping out the situation either.

Why would Digi create a different driver for a discontinued academic program? Why are they being sold intermixed in lots of 47?

I have been using Digi since 1999 and with all of the problems they have had with their drivers, I cannot understand why they would make seperate drivers for a seperate, but identicle product line.

The problem:
Every time you use anything but PT, you have to check the driver.
This may not seem like a big deal to some, but when students are paying top dollar to have working systems, problems like these are very frustrating.

Is there a firmware change or dip switch inside the units that can be changed so that this problem will go away? Does anyone have any info that could rectify this situation?.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:03 PM

Default Re: Digi Tech Suppport? Pfft!!! Mbox/Mbox academic Questions

I feel your pain. Who is the dealer/vendor and will they help?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave