Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2007, 08:34 AM

Default slaving an MPC to Pro tools w Battery?

I've been told its possible to use the mpc 1000 to work up sequences triggering the samples from battery and the nslave these to the pro tools timeline. I haven't used midi for years and wonder if someone can re run through this for me.
I'm just in the transition from MPC's to Battery but prefer working up sequences in the mpc sequencer to using the pro tools piano roll.

BTW I hope that soon pro tools will get its own drum editor such as the ones that used to be in cubase vst, which was at least quite usable.

Basically I love the quantize of the mpc and would love to keep the drum timing in that, I don't want to use the mpc as my master with pt slaved to it. What I will be doing is working on the drums then recording them in as audio tracks, but in the programming stage I want to be able to program in the mpc while i'm working on the drums, once i'm happy i'll multi track them in.

Cheers
Old 01-07-2007, 12:07 PM

Default Re: slaving an MPC to Pro tools w Battery?

bump...
Old 01-08-2007, 04:17 PM

Hi there mate
waz up? , sorry cannot help you with your probs, but i do need help as am lost with battery and multitracking, let me explain,see if you think its possible.
I like to record mu drum paterns on to one track,but i like that each one of the drum parts(Kicks,Snares,hats.....) is independant, so i can effect,eq,compress and do whatever i like to do with each one of the parts without changing the other parts.
I guess that i should be able somewere to assign an out to each one of those parts, but were???how????

i found your post looking for clues,and its the closest it gets

many thanks

PB 15" 1,67Ghz-2GB Ram
002 Rack
Old 01-09-2007, 02:38 AM

Hi Paco,

I am not sure, I haven't bought battery yet as I am still testing the demo, but there is definitely a way to send to separate tracks, as this is what I want to do as well.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:28 PM

whats up man

ok hopefully this helps you out. i've done this a couple of ways. i use a triton le and there have been times where i've made my drums in the triton and decided i didnt like the drums for whatever reason and i decided to use reason or sampletank, so i then recorded the midi coming from the triton in an instrument track (midi). then changed the note depending on whatever sound i wanted.

also, i've recorded drums on the triton while it was slaved to pro tools. basically, on the triton it was controlled by pro tools clock, i set the countdown to a bar for record and play, hit spacebar as it was counting down, i put the triton in record mode. then as PT's transport starts, the triton starts recording, enabling me to record to whatever i had already recorded in pro tools (guitar, vocals, whatever).

obivously, i dont have battery or an mpc so i can't give you the steps exactly, but i would think it was possible. i'm thinking you can put an instrument track in PT (if you have 7) or just a midi/aux. load up battery, and set up the midi beat clock to control the mpc with pro tools transport (set mpc to external/slave whatever). **this is all assuming you have set the mpc up in the audio midi setup in OSX utilities. then set up a 1 bar coutdown on the transport, record arm the mpc. then when it starts recording make your beat. hopefully this helps a little bit, i wish i had at least an mpc so i can give you the exact steps, but it should be possible