Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 08-12-2021, 05:45 AM

Default Using ElevenRack as audio interface to use VST's

Hi,

I have had the Eleven Rack for several years and I'm happy with it (overall) but I have tried to use it as an audio interface like the Scarlet Focusrite, Presonus, Behringer, etc... to play through VST's and I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or it's just that the Eleven Rack was not meant to do it properly.

Forget about DAW, let's say I only use standalone VST's. I've got my guitar connected to 11R and the phones output to my monitors.

I open the VST, select the Eleven Rack ASIO Driver and the guitar input. I still can hear the 11R so, I have set a rig with no amp, cabinet or fx.

The latency is mostly good, but I hear youtube guys testing the same VST with the similar guitar and same presets and I sound very different.

I'm not sure if its a problem about connections, cables, drivers or just that the Eleven Rack is not good at this and I should get another interface to connect the guitar.

Thanks!
Old 08-13-2021, 04:57 AM

Default Re: Using ElevenRack as audio interface to use VST's

The 11R allows you to choose a dry, unprocessed guitar signal (guitar in) or a processed signal which runs through the amp, cab, …. When using it with plugins, you want to make sure you choose the dry or guitar in signal as your input source.

System Details
Old 01-02-2022, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkgear View Post
The 11R allows you to choose a dry, unprocessed guitar signal (guitar in) or a processed signal which runs through the amp, cab, …. When using it with plugins, you want to make sure you choose the dry or guitar in signal as your input source.
Unfortunately, that doesn't work for me! I have to go and set the Editor to Reamp. It's the only way I can stop the 11R from sounding. Which is real pain it I want to use 11R sounds (and tuning) and something from Bias in the same track.

Schecter Hellraiser 7 Diamond - Ibanez RG7620
Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Old 01-05-2022, 01:57 PM

I think the Dry input is channel 3.
Old 01-05-2022, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanc View Post
Hi,

I have had the Eleven Rack for several years and I'm happy with it (overall) but I have tried to use it as an audio interface like the Scarlet Focusrite, Presonus, Behringer, etc... to play through VST's and I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or it's just that the Eleven Rack was not meant to do it properly.

Forget about DAW, let's say I only use standalone VST's. I've got my guitar connected to 11R and the phones output to my monitors.

I open the VST, select the Eleven Rack ASIO Driver and the guitar input. I still can hear the 11R so, I have set a rig with no amp, cabinet or fx.

The latency is mostly good, but I hear youtube guys testing the same VST with the similar guitar and same presets and I sound very different.

I'm not sure if its a problem about connections, cables, drivers or just that the Eleven Rack is not good at this and I should get another interface to connect the guitar.

Thanks!
What the heck are you talking about? It's really useful to try to use proper names for things, and to provide as much info as you can about what you are doing.

So for explanation/clarity: VST is an audio plugin format used by some DAWs. VST plugins are not and has never been supported by Pro Tools (but there are third party solutions to run them with Pro Tools). And some folks carelessly use "VST" to mean any VI (virtual instrument) plugin, but here you are talking about "open the VST"... no you are not opening a VST plugin, and if it's a stand alone virtual instrument program why are you driving it with a guitar not say a MIDI keyboard? So just what the heck are you talking about? A stand alone guitar amp sim? Name the actual product(s).

What exactly have you got connected where... "phones output to monitors"... Phone? You mean headphone? or Amp1/Amp2 phono socket outputs? The Main outputs on the Eleven Rack are XLR outputs not "phono" aka 1/4" phone sockets and you should not be using Amp1/Amp2 outputs to a monitor and expecting to get DAW output to those outputs. All this should be clear from the Reference Guide. This is a lot more complex box than a simple interface, you need to read up on what it can do, esp. if using Amp1/Amp2 outputs. The Eleven Rack Reference Guide is pretty well written.

And if you want to play the outputs of any audio software or DAW to the Eleven Rack XLR Main outputs you select outputs 1&2 which are the "Main Out L/R"... and that signal goes out the "Main Output" XLR connector pair on the rear panel.

If you are trying to play the guitar through something like a stand-alone amp-sim then you set the input from the Eleven Rack to Input 3 aka "Guitar-In", aka dry input as mentioned by others here.

For reference the Eleven Rack *inputs* seen by a DAW are.

1 Rig Out L
2 Rig Out R
3 Guitar In
4 Mic In
5 Line in L
6 Line in R
7 Digital in L
8 Digital in R

The names do not matter *at all*, just the IO port number. Yes the Rig Outputs are inputs. You should be able to work these out from the Setup>IO pages in Pro Tools, and I'm pretty sure this is in the Eleven Rack reference guide.

Be aware, there is a gotcha that has been widely discussed on DUC in the past with the Eleven Rack.. if you are using anything besides Pro Tools the Eleven Rack will not mute the internal Rig output path... so you will hear the guitar playing through the rig as if it was in stand alone mode. But if you are not recording the wet guitar through the rig, then set the rig output volume all the way down. There are multiple volumes, make sure you turn down the Rig Output volume.

If you want a wet guitar signal run through the rig with a DAW besides Pro Tools you can use the Eleven Rack as an outboard processor connected up to another interface which is the Playback Engine and providing Main Outputs... prefeably via AES/EBU or S/PDIF. Mac users can also try aggregating the Eleven Rack with Built-In Output or whatever it's called and use that). Or you might be able to get by with muting software monitoring for the wet input track.

The other great diagnostic tool for the Eleven Rack are the level meters at the far right side of the rig view on the front panel. Super handy for seeing what is going on.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 01-05-2022 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-05-2022, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
What the heck are you talking about?
Hmmm, I know exactly what he is talking about because I have experienced the exact same thing.

You really are narky aren't you!

Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Old 01-05-2022, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vercingetorix View Post
Hmmm, I know exactly what he is talking about because I have experienced the exact same thing.

You really are narky aren't you!
What something else you don't understand and are doing wrong? Maybe you should go sort out your own beginner problems instead of spending time posting on DUC. I mean it's pretty funny you keep posting stuff all over DUC showing how little you know and how you won't listen to advice. But go for it. You work in gaming audio? Jesus if a client read some of your stuff on DUC I'd expect they would want to think about finding somebody competent.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 01-05-2022 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-05-2022, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
What something else you don't understand and are doing wrong? Maybe you should go sort out your own beginner problems instead of spending time posting on DUC. I mean it's pretty funny you keep posting stuff all over DUC showing how little you know and how you won't listen to advice. But go for it. You work in gaming audio? Jesus if a client read some of your stuff on DUC I'd expect they would want to think about finding somebody competent.
No, actually, it was something wrong with the driver. One of the techs answered a couple of my emails directly about this problem. It was a known issue. Even Benoni, who was a wonderful moderator and extremely helpful tried to get this issue sorted but to no avail.

Okay, so I am incompetent!!! I'll wear that! If the Avid software engineers can't get there drivers and software to work correctly, then who am I to complain about it.

And I don't work in gaming audio - I work in game programming. Big difference, I only modify the sounds I need in ProTools the rest of the time I use it for making my own music in conjunction with my music lessons - nothing more, nothing less. I also teach Martial Arts not a lot of free time.

Please feel free to send all of them my emails.

Eleven Rack w/ ERXP