Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Dev > Pro Tools Scripting SDK Toolkit
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2023, 04:31 PM

Default What does "Script is outside ProTools repository." mean?

I am attempting to run the initial build script, using:
Code:
>python build_cpp_ptsl_sdk.py ptsl.client.cpp Debug
The process works fine until:
Code:
Initializing CMake from the command:
While this forum would not all me to post the entire code from the process, as it gives me the error:
Code:
Access Denied
You don't have permission to access "http://duc.avid.com/newthread.php?" on this server.
, but I did find something particularly suspect, which I do not understand. I suspect it may be the cause of the error.

This is, that during the running of the script, the output tells me:
Code:
Script is outside ProTools repository.
The final error is:
-When run in MINGW:
Code:
getting dependencies
'.venv' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
-And when run in Windows CMD:
Code:
getting dependencies
The system cannot find the path specified.
What does the output mean by, "Script is outside ProTools repository." I downloaded the SDK from the URL: https://my.avid.com/products/cppsdk, but I do not see a repository listed anywhere.
Old 03-24-2023, 12:56 PM
Avid

Default Re: What does "Script is outside ProTools repository." mean?

It looks like there may be a problem setting up the SDK's virtual environment (.venv), either it has not been created at all or there is a problem with the file path that causes it to not be found.

Another possibility is that there could be an issue with the current working directory file path that causes the script to have problems setting its own paths.

We have just released an updated version of the SDK, so I first recommend that you try the new version to see if it resolves this issue. If not, then try moving your copy of the SDK to a different location. If neither of those solve your problem then please respond here with a full log from the script as well as information about which SDK working directories you have tried.

The "Script is outside ProTools repository" is a benign error, but in any case we have fixed that issue in the latest SDK update so it should no longer be a distraction.

Best,
Rob
Old 03-28-2023, 08:59 AM

The forum is not allowing me to post the entire output, as the forum seems to be not allowing certain character sequences to be posted. The forum responds with an "Access Denied" error.

I have written the question on a pastebin.

https://pastebin.com/SMufdz10
Old 03-29-2023, 04:47 PM
Avid

In the text you uploaded to pastebin it looks like you weren't running in a CMD shell. If that's correct, could you post a full log from a run within a CMD shell? There are known issues running the build script from within other shells on Windows currently.
Old 04-14-2023, 07:23 AM

Thanks for your reply!

I made sure to run it in Windows CMD Shell under Administrator. This is the output I received.

https://pastebin.com/xdrc3dSY
Old 04-27-2023, 08:11 AM
Avid

From what I'm seeing virtual environment doesn't download all needed dependencies from PyPi(Conan and CMake), it only gets standard setuptools and pip(line 17 at your link). Is your requirements.txt files at it's place? It should be at Config/requirements.txt. Another thing to try is to manually delete your Conan cache, which is located at usr/.conan/data. Let us know if this helps, or if you need any other assistance!

Thanks!
Old 05-02-2023, 05:22 AM

The install requirements doesn't get called until line 46 of the setup file. That appears to be after the "Installing collected packages: setuptools, pip" line.

Code:
def call_script(command, cwd):
    print(f"Initializing CMake from the command: {command},\ngetting dependencies")
    if platform.system() == "Windows":
        cmd = f"{os.path.join('.venv', 'Scripts', 'activate.bat')} && pip install -r requirements.txt && {' '.join(command)}"
    elif platform.system() == "Darwin":
        cmd = f"source .venv/bin/activate && pip install -r requirements.txt && {' '.join(command)}"
    subprocess.Popen(cmd, cwd=cwd, shell=True).wait()
I am using windows, so I don't know where the conan cache is located. Nonetheless, I checked
Code:
pip list
, and conan was not installed, so I installed the requirements manually with:

Code:
pip install -r requirements.txt
I tried the script again, and I received the same message. I tried to run
Code:
conan remove *
, and I am told that there are no packages in the conan cache to remove.
Old 05-08-2023, 06:57 AM
Avid

If you have already installed requirements.txt into your base Python env manually, and not in the virtual environment, I can suggest you try and remove this:
Code:
{os.path.join('.venv', 'Scripts', 'activate.bat')} && pip install -r requirements.txt &&
from line 49 of the build_cpp_ptsl_sdk.py. That will eliminate virtual env creation from the script and will try and build PTSL client for you straight away without using "venv" module. Line 49 should look like this for you in the end:
Code:
cmd = f"{' '.join(command)}"
Old 05-10-2023, 04:27 PM

That worked! Well almost -- I had to upgrade conan to 1.55 from 1.54, but after that, everything went well.

Thanks.