Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 03-21-2023, 10:17 PM

Default AIR Hybrid 3 randomly playing back wacky & sustained

Hello,

I'm on Pro Tools 2022.12|W10 & creating some MIDI melody lines in the MIDI editor with AIR Hybrid 3 as my instrument.

After stopping & resuming playback at various points in the MIDI clip Hybrid starts fluttering or sustaining (after playback stops).
Not every time but quite often to the point where it's annoying enough to post about it.

It also happens with another soft synth (Sonic Academy ANA 2.5) so it's not just Hybrid.
No problems with my other VI's.
I've went into the Hybrid & ANA global settings to see if anything else is enabled that might be causing the unwanted triggering/fluttering.

Also tried turning off the legato setting & vice versa.

I don't see any unwanted controller or automation data in the editor lanes and the parts eventually play back fine.

It's mainly happening when I stop and start at various points while editing I'll then move to the beginning of the clip or a couple measures back in an empty space.
But even then I have to sometimes de-activate/reactivate the VI plugin.
So that's the workaround. A major vibe killer when I'm getting into the groove of an edit. =/

Just wondering if anyone has ever experienced this?

I recently updated Hybrid so I'll see if the previous version or other presets behave this way.
Happens in PT 2022.7 also.

Update: I've taken note that the AAX version of Hybrid only mentions as high as PT 2020 in the specs. I'll have to check the ANA 2.5 specs too.
Comments still appreciated.

Thanks

Pro Tools Studio 2022.7|Windows 10 22H2|Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen)|Dell Inspiron 3650|Intel i5 6th gen|16GB RAM|Samsung T5 SSD's|Hitachi|Touro HDD

Toontrack EZdrummer 3|Steven Slate Drums 5.5 + Blackbird Studio EX|Spectrasonics Trilian|Native Instruments Guitar Rig 6

Waves|SSL Native|Fabfilter|Softube|Soundtoys|Nomad Factory

Last edited by take77; 06-19-2023 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-22-2023, 11:31 AM

Default Re: AIR Hybrid 3 randomly playing back wacky & sustained

That's a new one. I've never had a single issue with Hybrid 3. Assuming you have the latest updates installed, the only thing I can think of is uninstall it, then reinstall and see if the problem goes away.

Old 03-22-2023, 02:06 PM

Thanks for the confirmation on not having problems with Hybrid 3.
I mentioned Hybrid specifically to see if any others have experienced this.
I'm going to check to see if it happens with any other Hybrid presets. I think I recall it happening when using other soft lead sounds.
Then again, it's happened with ANA 2.5 during editing/playback.
Never happens with my bass & drum VI's though.

The sustain issue happens when I stop playback and the fluttering (trilling) happens during playback.
Not every time but whenever I get into the groove playing back my edits (adding and adjusting note duration).

I'm getting adept at quickly deactivating/reactivating the plugin and resuming normal playback.
But the sudden sustain after stopping playback is really annoying.
I'm almost done editing and can commit to audio soon. Hopefully, it doesn't commit that way.
I've had that happen once before too.

Update: After re-installing H3 the same issue inevitably occurred but I read a thread with a similar sustain issue with VI's in PT.

While there was no mention of a surefire solution to prevent it, the key is to re-start playback again at the point the issue starts (varies while editing) and allow it to play through that point.
That's a lot quicker way than deactivating & reactivating the VI every time.

That said, I'm almost done editing so it's happening less & less.

Pro Tools Studio 2022.7|Windows 10 22H2|Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen)|Dell Inspiron 3650|Intel i5 6th gen|16GB RAM|Samsung T5 SSD's|Hitachi|Touro HDD

Toontrack EZdrummer 3|Steven Slate Drums 5.5 + Blackbird Studio EX|Spectrasonics Trilian|Native Instruments Guitar Rig 6

Last edited by take77; 06-19-2023 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-23-2023, 08:52 AM

As I said, that's a weird one I've never encountered. You might report it to AIR at the help desk found on their website. It could be some fixable bug in the patch library or something.

Old 03-23-2023, 03:13 PM

Thanks Donald:)

Old 03-25-2023, 12:05 PM

What exactly do you have connected for midi controllers or keyboards? If you disconnect it/them, does the problem go away? I am suspecting a controller issue more than a plugin issue, but do any other VI plugins act the same?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-25-2023, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
What exactly do you have connected for midi controllers or keyboards? If you disconnect it/them, does the problem go away? I am suspecting a controller issue more than a plugin issue, but do any other VI plugins act the same?
Hi Dave,

I'm entering notes directly via piano roll.
When I stop playback in the middle of a passage to edit or restart the passage is when it happens. Not every time but randomly.
It's like when I stop and start payback in the middle of a passage some type of aftertouch data gets sent or something. Not an expert in that area.

I've went in and turned settings that might be related in the Hybrid preset off and vice versa but still happens from time to time.
One time it secretly happened during a commit to my surprise. After committing again it was normal.

It's only happened with 2 softsynths Hybrid and ANA 2.5.
Hasn't happen with ANA since I stopped editing that part.

Thanks for chiming in and have a nice weekend.

Last edited by take77; 04-26-2023 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-28-2023, 11:27 AM

Did you contact AIR support yet? If so, what did they say?

Old 03-28-2023, 08:24 PM

Since I can confirm it's happening with another softsynth (Sonic Academy ANA 2.5) I haven't contacted AIR support on the matter.

I opened a different session that has ANA 2.5 in it last night and it happened once randomly when stopping and playing back at various sections. No editing.
Not a showstopper but weird when it happens.

I'm so used to weird MIDI behavior when composing with PT that I just keep working around everything (albeit frustrating sometimes).

Thanks for checking back though!

Old 04-06-2023, 07:08 PM

Was just listening back at various points in the song and notes are being played back that aren't there.

At the end of one melody line Hybrid would inflect into an octave & sustain.
At other points, notes that aren't there start trilling over the notes that are there.
Tried playing back from a point further back and it would still do it.
So I just deactivated the VI as usual and resumed playback/editing.

ON THE BRIGHT SIDE (and as weird as it is) the random inflections actually inspired an even better melody line!

But still occasionally hearing trilled and sustained notes that aren't even in the MIDI clip!
Starting and stopping during a passage must trigger some type of MIDI data.

I'm glad the weird behavior has resulted in a better melody though.
After I finish editing and fine tuning tempos I'll commit the track to audio.

Like I said, weird MIDI behavior in PT is not new to me and I just keep working through it. Even though it's prolonged how long it takes me to finish a project, the songs end up being better.
Weird payoff but totally worth it when the song turns out better than it was before.

Without the painstaking occurrences that have made me work a bit harder, I would have settled with the previous version.

A rough sea makes a smooth sailor!
Or, in this case, a rough MIDI makes a smooth composition.

Last edited by take77; 04-26-2023 at 07:11 PM.