Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 01-30-2021, 11:42 PM

Default Need advice on a good way to quantize live drums w/wo plugins

We have started recording awesome live drums again and even though I played for 15 years I hate to play to click and find I tend to ”drift” miniscule amounts sometimes and when compressing and eq’ing and using analog goodness after the takes I do hear some parts where the takes are not 100 and just bought Serato Sample last night to try bit I seem to have skipped the part where it did NOT say for quantizing drum groups hehehe

Serato is addicting so no biggie we bought it but I really gotta ask you guys how you do it??

Is it EA and editing a bit by hand aswell or do you have a better plugin for this?

I just have harsh memories when it comes to EA but that was some time ago to be fair so is it better now with 2020.12 Ultimate?

As always I really am greatful for you guys and will be very happy for any advice on this. ThankYou!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-31-2021, 01:29 AM

Default Re: Need advice on a good way to quantize live drums w/wo plugins

Personally I (almost) never use Elastic Audio on drums - it just ruins the transients for me and bugs me every time I hear it, kind of like a low quality MP3. I use Beat Detective instead. You can map the tempo either manually of using BD so you have a grid, then use BD to separate and conform the resulting clips. BD hardly ever gets it perfect though so you'll probably have to adjust some things manually. It can be tedious but is well worth it if you spend the time to get it right.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 01-31-2021, 01:43 AM

Top tip, before stripping silence make sure you have enough silence BEFORE the transient... easiest way to create cardboard box sound is destroying the beginning of "sample".
Old 01-31-2021, 02:12 AM

Thank you both. So I take it there is no plugin I can read in all 12 tracks of drums with room and overheads etc and just quantize to grid then ....

BD looks ancient and looking at Warren Huart using it I get cramps in my stomach!!!

However I see the results are great so Thanks Chris for the tip. Never even opened BD ever so is it hard to grasp and does it really quantize the audio tracks? Even if each track is consolidated and one long file on each channel?

I thought for real there was a quick way to quantize audio in 2021 as there are sooo little that needs to be done. Its for Elle King and is the song I asked about getting guitars tracked before Xmas but we have that now and super awesome Greatsch Vintage rock drum takes by yours truly and will post the new unmixed version and later the mixed version as soon as the label let me

So again ... quantizing audio is still a no one click does it all then?

This would be soooo easy in Ableton Live10 suite with warp markers and so on but... BUTT PTU ... not so much I see ??

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-31-2021, 03:54 AM

Using EA would be the equivalent of warping it in Live. Both are using a timestretching algorithm.

BD works well but it is tedious. No artefacts (typically) as your slicing audio and filling gaps with cross fades.

I’d try EA with the Rhythmic algorithm. You might find it works fine. Worth a shot. You have it.

Gotta ask though... why did you purchase Serato sample to quantise drums?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2021, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
We have started recording awesome live drums again and even though I played for 15 years I hate to play to click and find I tend to ”drift” miniscule amounts sometimes and when compressing and eq’ing and using analog goodness after the takes I do hear some parts where the takes are not 100 and just bought Serato Sample last night to try bit I seem to have skipped the part where it did NOT say for quantizing drum groups hehehe

Serato is addicting so no biggie we bought it but I really gotta ask you guys how you do it??

Is it EA and editing a bit by hand aswell or do you have a better plugin for this?

I just have harsh memories when it comes to EA but that was some time ago to be fair so is it better now with 2020.12 Ultimate?

As always I really am greatful for you guys and will be very happy for any advice on this. ThankYou!
Christopher:
I know you would know this but send the artist and label both the unquantized and quantized versions and ask which they prefer. I've read too many times where the not-so-perfect version was preferred over the pristine version. As the one who played the drums you know where the warts are but others may not hear it as a problem (if they even hear it at all).

Or you could hire the Atomic Clock Gene Hoagland

QAPLA!
Old 01-31-2021, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post

Gotta ask though... why did you purchase Serato sample to quantise drums?
Hahaha That was a slightly impuls-y thingamagigg but I wanted it for another task when slicing loops so hoped it would work for this too but been putting buying Sample off and now I bought it. It is addictive and love it for other stuff .

Thanks for the Tip and I will try EA again as it was years ago we tried it.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-31-2021, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Christopher:
I know you would know this but send the artist and label both the unquantized and quantized versions and ask which they prefer. I've read too many times where the not-so-perfect version was preferred over the pristine version. As the one who played the drums you know where the warts are but others may not hear it as a problem (if they even hear it at all).

Or you could hire the Atomic Clock Gene Hoagland
Good point

Didn’t think of that and as I moved the takes until I started solo the individual tracks but as I have to say and accept it is super small stuff and in the mix I can’t hear anything wrong so maybe I will make an EA version and one where I edit by hand the 3-4 kick hits I feel are off by some milliseconds ans send both as you said. Good idea for sure !!

Thanks Guys. You are the Best as usual

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-31-2021, 05:57 AM

Whoever is listening cannot tell a difference if you move less than 10ms, take my word for it only fix what is broken.
Old 01-31-2021, 06:59 AM

Hey, if you really want to dive into this, I give hourly lessons over Zoom and I have a massive collection of unedited drums for you to practice with. Did a lesson last week and it went well. Beat detective requires a lot of custom decision-making. I’m not aware of a plugin or a faster way of doing it better. Not a fan of elastic audio editing (for drums anyway).