Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2005, 09:33 PM

Default need some advice on a mix

http://www.prevailband.com/cut.mp3

this is a friends band. Its more or less one of my first "big" projects. hardcore/metal type stuff. any tips, comments, advice or whatever on it would be much appreciated. i just want to be sure i'm headed in the right direction with this. thanks
Old 07-09-2005, 08:31 AM

Default Re: need some advice on a mix

The soft sweeping harmony's, and the melody took me away to a place where I viewed gargoyles eating the rotting flesh of mortal beings and at the same time the juxtaposition of the counterpoint vocals and especially the lyrics invited me to slit my own throat.
Old 07-09-2005, 08:32 AM

Otherwise! Luved the mix.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:37 AM

good job! the snare and kick sound good. howeevr, the cymbals are too quiet (hi hat's sound ok, but also could come up just a bit). Try bringing up the overheads to see how that sounds, cause the mix as a whole sounds good, but a little bit too subdued and clean (i think some serious crashes would help out).
Old 07-14-2005, 08:41 PM

Default Mix opinions

Good Mix, here's my opinion. I wouldn't turn up the cymbals, but I would brighten the vocal, its a lot darker than the rest of the mix, especially the cymbals, and since I have crappy little 3" speakers I'm listening to, I noticed that the bass is inaudible there. (Try boosting anywhere from 200Hz to 900Hz in the bass) The pro mixes never have that problem, even on small speakers.so I would suggest monitoring with crappy speakers as well as your big system. also put reference tracks in your session to bounce off of your mix. Get something in the same genre that you know kicks ass on any system you put it in and that can give you a direction. Watch out though and make sure to even out the levels. It can be deceiving referencing your mix to a Mastered mix.