Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-23-2009, 05:25 PM

Default iLok - do i just pull it out?

i cant seem to see any sort of external hard drive symbol anywhere like when you plug in a usb drive.

there is a light on the iLok. can i just pull it out or do i have to 'eject' it somewhere?
Old 01-23-2009, 05:55 PM

Default Re: iLok - do i just pull it out?

Geez, I never gave this a thought. I guess the safest thing would be to shut down and pull it.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-25-2009, 04:11 AM

Not that I am advocating this action, because I don't want to be responsible for breaking your ilok, but if I'm out the house with my MBP and Mbox2, I frequently switch my spare USB port between iLok and a usb mouse. Just make sure you don't try n launch any plugins (or in the case of Structure LE, try and add patches) without the iLok plugged in, for me it usually results in PT crashing.

JC
Old 01-25-2009, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boove View Post
i cant seem to see any sort of external hard drive symbol anywhere like when you plug in a usb drive.

there is a light on the iLok. can i just pull it out or do i have to 'eject' it somewhere?
If the light is on, that means the iLok is working.
iLoks don't show up on drives lists.
The reason being ...well, they're not DRIVES.

I'm not sure I understand the rest of the question.
There's no "ejecting" an iLok. Just pull it out, plug it in, etc.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejwells View Post
If the light is on, that means the iLok is working.
This is not true, the green light is on all the time a soon as you turn your computer on. It is not necessarily an indicator of it "working" rather an indicator of it telling you it is ready to rock. My rule is, if Pro Tools is not open, feel free to pull the ilok out and put it in. I've never had an issue.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:10 AM

I very often pull out the ilok with pro tools running so I can connect a usb keyboard instead. Even with plugins on tracks it doesn't seem to make any difference. I'm pretty sure the ilok is only really needed on the startup of the session. I could be wrong, but this is the way I have used mine for years now and never had any issues with it.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:12 PM

Guys do not do any of this things you just talk about this!!!!
it does break when even you said, the Companies today want our money from very youngh guys as we are, and the Companies want our money if they do not get our money they will never exist enymore, I am veyr tired since I changed myself to protools but always a BIG PROBLEM TO SOLVE OUT, due to they are ripoffs, I just did this what you said about unpluging my Ilok and it break and not I have to buy a new one because my it's damaged because of using it so much, and Ilok, charge you for transferring your licences, if we already own ours, why we should pay ensurence, and why we should pay for each of our linceses we have in our Iloks it's an strategy developed by m-audio and digi to make money, I had been waiting for some updates and now they have thier PT 8 and what want more money.
but Way I should pay for ensurence for and Ilok, if it's stupid to buy or pay for our licenses, if we do enough to afford this ripoffs products.

take of money.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prolordmusic View Post
Guys do not do any of this things you just talk about this!!!!
it does break when even you said, the Companies today want our money from very youngh guys as we are, and the Companies want our money if they do not get our money they will never exist enymore, I am veyr tired since I changed myself to protools but always a BIG PROBLEM TO SOLVE OUT, due to they are ripoffs, I just did this what you said about unpluging my Ilok and it break and not I have to buy a new one because my it's damaged because of using it so much, and Ilok, charge you for transferring your licences, if we already own ours, why we should pay ensurence, and why we should pay for each of our linceses we have in our Iloks it's an strategy developed by m-audio and digi to make money, I had been waiting for some updates and now they have thier PT 8 and what want more money.
but Way I should pay for ensurence for and Ilok, if it's stupid to buy or pay for our licenses, if we do enough to afford this ripoffs products.

take of money.
Well...that's easy for YOU to say.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:31 PM

Classic.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-12-2009, 12:46 AM

As I said I have removed my ilok the way I described for about 4 odd years and it works fine. As for 'companies' ripping us off it's not really their fault that you broke your ilok. Should just be more carefull with these little important pieces of tech.
Mbox 2
Mbox Micro