Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 06-01-2008, 03:31 PM

Default Protools LE and Midi Channel Assignment

I've been struggling with this problem for days... weeks actually, so any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Using Pro Tools 7.4 LE on Dell Latitude Laptop D610, I'm also using an M-Audio Axiom 61, and a M-Audio Midisport 2x2 multiport midi interface, and an old Korg SG-1 Keyboard.

The M-Audio Axiom is connected to my laptop via USB is set to transmit supposedly only on Midi channel 1. The Korg SG-1 Keyboard is connected to the Midisport 2x2 via a midi cable, and is supposedly setup to transmit only on Midi Channel 7, and then the Midisport 2x2 is connected to the laptop via USB.

I have Native Instruments Elektrik Piano set up on one instrument track in Pro Tools, and I have Native Instruments B4 set up on another instrument track in Pro Tools.

It seems that no matter what I do, the selected (highlighted) instrument track plays no matter what midi input channels I have the track assigned to, and no matter what midi channels the keyboard controllers are transmitting on.

I have the Elektrik Piano Instrument track set up as follows:
Midi Input Selector is set to the Midisport A channel 7.
Midi Output is set to the Elektrik Piano insert, and is transmitting on midi channel 7.
The Native Instruments Elektrik Piano Virtual Instrument is set to only listen on midi channel 7.

I have the Native Instruments B4 running on another instrument track and is setup as follows:
Midi Input Select is set to the M-Audio Axiom In 1, Channel 1.
Midi Output is set to the B4 II insert on Channel 1.
B4 insert is setup to listen on midi channel 1.

Under the Options Menu, Midi-Thru is checked on.

Again, the Korg-SG1 is setup to transmit on Midi Channel 7, which should be controlling just the Elektrik Piano instrument track. And the Axiom 61 is setup to transmit on Channel 1, which should be controlling just the B4 instrument track.

What I'm seeing is that whatever track is selected in Pro Tools that sound will play regardless of the midi settings. If I select the Elektrik Piano track, both the Axiom 61 and the Korg SG-1 will play the Elektrik Piano sounds.. but I only want the Korg SG-1 to be playing the Elektrik Piano sounds.

If I select the B4 instrument track in Pro Tools, both the Axiom 61 and the Korg SG-1 will be playing the B4 organ, even though they're supposedly only transmitting on the one channel. I only want the Axiom 61 to be able to play the B4 Organ.

Ideally.. I want the Axiom 61 playing the B4 organ, and at the same time, I want the Korg SG-1 to be able to play the NI Elektrik Piano.

Please.. anyone.. help me!!!!! What am I doing wrong here????

Thank you.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:07 PM

Default Re: Protools LE and Midi Channel Assignment

What happens if you record enable both midi tracks?

ScottedogStudios on ReverbNation
Old 06-02-2008, 07:39 AM

Default Re: Protools LE and Midi Channel Assignment

Thanks very much for your help!

The problem was as you suggested, you must record enable the tracks, then everything works as expected. It just doesn't seem very intuitive to me.. but thats the way it works. I also set in Preferences the Default Midi Thru Instrument to be None, although you don't actually have to do this for things to work.

Thanks again for responding to my post.