Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2001, 01:48 PM

Default Processor speeds for MACs

I am going to purchase a Pro Tools system in the next couple of months and would like some feedback regarding processor speeds. Has any one had slowdown problems or issues with any of there machines? Any difference betreen 400mhz or 433mhz? What about dual processors? I am getting mix plus with an additional farm card and will regularly be recording 32+ tracks. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-17-2001, 02:50 PM

Default Re: Processor speeds for MACs

After using both a G4 400 and a G4 450, In my opinion the 450 (or any single processor G4 above) is quicker and feels more 'solid' somehow. Not only is the processor quicker but the system bus is also faster. Also make sure you install a Stealth port so that you can use a serial midi interface, rather than using USB. I tried working with my AMT 8's using USB for a while to begin with and there are timing problems and other errors to contend with so steer clear. The latest G4 single processor Macs are not yet supported by Digi, but I'm sure it will only be a matter of a few weeks and probably worth the wait as the internal system bus has been made even faster on those particular models.
Old 01-17-2001, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Processor speeds for MACs

With the future release of PT 5.1 you will be able to run RTAS plugins along with TDM plugs, so the faster the CPU, the more RTAS-plugs you will run.
My 02

Camilo