Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 05-28-2024, 02:50 PM

Default Re: New Windows computer

So my question is this, i have a Dell optiplex workstation with an Intel Core i5-9500 @ 3.00GHz. Its often freezing when i'm tracking, no real rhyme or reason. Mid guitar take it will just lock up for 3 seconds and continue on. I've done it on sessions with lots of plugins and some with none, it seems to be unaffected. The only factor is the more tracks i have, the more likely it will do it.

So basically, the i9 i posted seems only marginally faster (but with more cores), and that Xeon seems alot faster, (the same # of cores). So i'm trying to figure out what to invest in. I still need to wipe the PC and install everything clean to just make sure all is fine with what i have. But assuming i need to upgrade, i want to keep my eyes on what to upgrade to.
Old 05-28-2024, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvon View Post
So my question is this, i have a Dell optiplex workstation with an Intel Core i5-9500 @ 3.00GHz. Its often freezing when i'm tracking, no real rhyme or reason. Mid guitar take it will just lock up for 3 seconds and continue on. I've done it on sessions with lots of plugins and some with none, it seems to be unaffected. The only factor is the more tracks i have, the more likely it will do it.

So basically, the i9 i posted seems only marginally faster (but with more cores), and that Xeon seems alot faster, (the same # of cores). So i'm trying to figure out what to invest in. I still need to wipe the PC and install everything clean to just make sure all is fine with what i have. But assuming i need to upgrade, i want to keep my eyes on what to upgrade to.
Not really enough info. How much RAM? 32GB would be minimum(for me). Having said that, i9 or Xeon at faster speeds should make a difference, but are you talking about upgrading the cpu in the Dell, or building a new machine? If its just a CPU upgrade, make sure the motherboard can accommodate. By "Mid guitar", did you mean Midi guitar? If yes, what instrument plugin are you using(some chew a lot more system power than others)?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-28-2024, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvon View Post
... trying to figure out what to invest in ... what to upgrade to.
i9-14900K build
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 05-29-2024, 05:52 AM

Unless you really want a new system, I'd first try a complete clean and reinstall of the OS on your current system. The session locking up or freezing is probably not an issue with the processor speed and is more likely faulty hardware or a bad driver. Could possibly be corrupt software as well. I would pull apart your system, pull the memory, clean all the connectors, reseat. Do the same for drive cables and anything else that could get contaminated. Then completely wipe your drive and reinstall the OS. Update all drivers then install Pro Tools. I would not install any plugins at first. Start small and see if PT runs smoothly. If so, then add plugins one by one and see if it starts freezing again. If not, then something may have been corrupt and you may be good now. If so, you then can narrow it down to which piece of software is causing your issue. If it still locks up with no plugins and a small session, then it could be a hardware issue, in which a new system could help. Just make sure you get a proper power supply and all other hardware and don't just swap the main board.

System Details