Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2006, 08:55 AM

Default Sync I/O wierd behavior

Hi there!

Time window on our Sync I/O not showing actual TC values. Sometimes it follows TC from digibeta via LTC, then suddenly stops and shows the exact value where it stops. But I can see the TC value in the session setup window and machines are in sync. I upgraded firmware (1.1.1) and OS (10.4.5) and Pro Tools (6.9.3r2) with no results. Oh, and the generate LED is always lit. Any help greatly appreciated.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:20 AM

Default Re: Sync I/O wierd behavior

The generate LED will only be lit when one (1) of the following conditions is met:

1. Pro Tools is set to generate SMPTE. This is a setting in the bottom section of the Session Setup window.
2. Pro Tools is obtaining its positional reference via serial timecode. This is a preference in Setups-->Peripherals-->Machine Control. Note that you must be locked to video reference for this to function properly.

I generally do not look at the SYNC I/O's display, so I am not certain if it should always display a changing timecode value or not.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:45 AM

Thank you, for the quick answer! Yes it is. The second one. But Sync I/O was displaying TC values earlier. Then it begins to loose sync with digibeta. Now, after all of upgrades it syncs, however there are still few minor glithes, like sudden dropouts when laying back audio to digibeta (it looks like it can't quickly locate punch-in point). Sorry, if its sounds a bit lame, but I'm new to post scene.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:35 PM

Check your preroll setting in Setups-->Peripherals-->Machine Control. When working with the Digibeta I use 60 frames of preroll. Perhaps your preroll value is too low, which could explain why the deck is not going into record at the punch-in point. One thing to know about Machine Control is that it does not really operate like a true synchronizer. When you press play on a synchronizer, both machines start playing and then they lock-up. With Machine Control, if Pro Tools and the deck being controlled are not locked after the amount of preroll I alluded to above, Pro Tools simply gives up and displays Missed Sync Point in the status section of the edit window.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:53 AM

Ok. I just checked this setting. We have 150 frames of pre-roll now. Two problems still there. 1. One of ten times, when laying back to digibeta, there is no audio after the point when the machine starts to record. I think no signal goes to it from PT. It can be cured with restart of the system. 2. Sometimes it lost online mode. Online button is solidly blue, but nothing happens. Again, restarting the system. And the TC window on sync i/o still not showing actual TC values. Any ideas?
Old 03-28-2006, 07:24 AM

Hi,
As far as I know the Sync I/O only displays running timecode when its set to generate timecode in the session setup window.