Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 07-05-2022, 12:33 PM

Default Avid Venue Stage rack mil connector

Hi everyone! I need help, the connector on my stage foh rack is broken. Can someone tell me where to buy a new one or a used one in good condition as well, also i need female pins for him. Thank you! (Sorry for my English)

https://s1.hostingkartinok.com/uploa...b4f6efd148.jpg

Will this connector work?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/30341109119...3ABFBMnMzxiLhg
Old 07-05-2022, 01:48 PM

Default Re: Avid Venue Stage rack mil connector

Maybe - your connector has 55 socket positions which looks like the same on Ebay That's a start.. and only a start.

Can Avid/a repair center repair this or provide a part? That may be a lot easier than dealing with this, especially to repair really well.

Start by counting the number of pins holes and noting exact dimensions. Look for a manufacturer name/part number, maybe embossed on the plastic in the back. You should be looking at this and data sheets/dimensions on a real site like Digikey Germany or Farnell, not on flea bay. e.g. start here https://www.digikey.com/catalog/en/p...-series-1/7534 (but go to your German site).

And that ITT cannon part number on EBay does not seem to be a current part number, not sure what is going on where, but given how much component counterfeiting happens I'd buy this from an distributor not EBay.

If some sockets/wires are just broken do *not* replace the connector, find the suitable crimp-on socket inserts and tooling are replace only those crimp-on sockets... one of the huge benefits of these CPC/CPM connectors is how repairable they often are.

These are CMC connectors, Circular Metal-shell Connectors. This is "receptacle" aka the thing that is mounted on something as opposed to the Plug... the connector on the end of a cable. ITT Cannon is a main manufacturer although there are many others like AMP/TE Connectivity. 55 sockets means it's likely a CMC Series 2 connector, make sure you look at all the series, some will only go to many fewer connector positions. Again the best thing to do is not replace the receptacle itself unless you absolutely have to.

If you are replacing the whole thing you need..
The connector body
The crimp on sockets
A crimp tool (Ideally the *exact* crimp tool to go with that exact brand/part number(s) crimp on sockets recommended or made by the manufacturer)
A socket insertion/removal tool.

Crimp sockets come in different pin/hole sizes for different series of CPC/CMC connectors, and for different wire gauge. You need to get all specs correct. There can also a confusing variety of different pin/socket connectors that fit these housings, look at a manufacturer catalog to make sure you are getting the exact pin/socket you want.... which would likely be the simplest/cheapest socket variety they make.

Pay attention to the proper size crimp-on socket and tools as there are multiple ones. A proper/good crimper will cost several $100 or more and *will* produce the best connections. You may be better off having somebody with the right gear repair this. Much better than say bastardizing the socket with solder. I've made up/repaired multiple CPC connectors on aircraft and avionics, you would get your fingers cut off if foolish enough to try to solder these in serious use like that.

And first thing to do if you get a new receptacle is make sure it mates to the plug OK, before you start replacing stuff.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 07-05-2022 at 02:03 PM.