Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2022, 01:36 PM

Default Re: A Happy Thank You for the 2022.6 MIDI fixes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashville View Post
I had an issue where I couldn't select notes that I had quantized. Anybody else?
I replied to this in the other thread, but let me add to it here... I just experimented with quantizing then selecting MIDI notes, and I couldn't recreate your specific issue on my end, but I have a problem where I make a new midi clip (make a selection on the timeline, opt+shift+3), double click that midi clip to open the MIDI editor, double click to create a note, and then I can't select that note. I can use the trim tool to lengthen it or shorten it, but I can't drag that note to a different note, and I can't do any of the myriad other things I would do with a selected note. If I window over it, it'll replay the note, but not select it

I assume our problems are related since they both have to do with being unable to select a note... I'll try to make the quantize bug show up on my end, since it seems so similar

If the sample rounding bug really is fixed, THANK YOU, it's been a long time with a lot of frustration! That's been my number one bug for ages. I just wish fixing that bug didn't have to make this new one
Universal Audio Apollo x16 (x3)
Old 07-01-2022, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashville View Post
I had an issue where I couldn't select notes that I had quantized. Anybody else?
Yes. There is a really bad bug with MIDI Quantizing in 2022.6. I need to do more experimenting, but if I quantize the same notes multiple times, I can no longer select or edit those notes. It also appears that on successive quantizes, it copies the note to the new quantize position rather than move the note.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 07-01-2022, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmusic View Post
... I'll try to make the quantize bug show up on my end, since it seems so similar
Try quantizing a midi note multiple times and see if it creates the issue for you.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 07-01-2022, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
I'm happy to see such a positive response to this. I understand a ton of work went into it.
Yes very much appreciated!
Thanks for the time & effort put into this. It's like having a brand new PT rig!:)
Having MIDI composition features work correctly with all the other newly added features makes me wanna moonwalk~.

It's a beautiful summer day AND Pro Tools is shiny and new! lol

As a helpful heads up, I read in a Legacy thread that AVID advises the fixes are most effective in newly created sessions & that previous problems may still exist in previous sessions.

I'm going to experiment importing MIDI clips saved at one tempo instead of importing session data from previous sessions.
That is, IF I still have problems in those sessions.

Kind regards,

Mike

Pro Tools Studio 2022.7|Windows 10 22H2|Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen)|Dell Inspiron 3650|Intel i5 6th gen|16GB RAM|Samsung T5 SSD's|Hitachi|Touro HDD

Toontrack EZdrummer 3|Steven Slate Drums 5.5 + Blackbird Studio EX|Spectrasonics Trilian|Native Instruments Guitar Rig 6

Waves|SSL Native|Fabfilter|Softube|Soundtoys|Nomad Factory

Last edited by take77; 07-01-2022 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-01-2022, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmusic View Post
I replied to this in the other thread, but let me add to it here... I just experimented with quantizing then selecting MIDI notes, and I couldn't recreate your specific issue on my end, but I have a problem where I make a new midi clip (make a selection on the timeline, opt+shift+3), double click that midi clip to open the MIDI editor, double click to create a note, and then I can't select that note. I can use the trim tool to lengthen it or shorten it, but I can't drag that note to a different note, and I can't do any of the myriad other things I would do with a selected note. If I window over it, it'll replay the note, but not select it

I assume our problems are related since they both have to do with being unable to select a note... I'll try to make the quantize bug show up on my end, since it seems so similar
As a workaround attempt, what happens if you select the clip length on the grid & consolidate the clip again after experiencing the issue? (Opt+Shift+3 "Alt" Windows)

Does it undo the problem?

I've had to do that when unable to enter a note at the beginning of a clip. After re-consolidating the clip I could enter the note.
Hopefully with the new fixes this isn't a problem.

Haven't had a chance to update yet but maybe you guys can give that a try as a temporary workaround.
Now is definitely the time to get our individual discoveries escalated while MIDI fixes are on the board!

Thanks again Team AVID for the effort put into getting the MIDI features up to par!
The more gratitude we show hopefully the more precedence given to our MIDI requests.

Pro Tools Studio 2022.7|Windows 10 22H2|Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen)|Dell Inspiron 3650|Intel i5 6th gen|16GB RAM|Samsung T5 SSD's|Hitachi|Touro HDD

Toontrack EZdrummer 3|Steven Slate Drums 5.5 + Blackbird Studio EX|Spectrasonics Trilian|Native Instruments Guitar Rig 6

Waves|SSL Native|Fabfilter|Softube|Soundtoys|Nomad Factory

Last edited by take77; 07-01-2022 at 09:02 PM.
Old 07-01-2022, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
Try quantizing a midi note multiple times and see if it creates the issue for you.
It happened right away after the "1st" quantize for me.
Old 07-01-2022, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by take77 View Post

The more gratitude we show hopefully the more precedence given to our MIDI requests.
Always grateful when they give some love to the midi features. I did have to go back to the earlier version though since I didn't have time to troubleshoot. In the middle of a project, I was hoping to just upgrade and hope for no hiccups, alas, maybe it's me. Maybe I'll try it again.

But still, grateful.
Old 07-01-2022, 09:54 PM

Whoever drove this... thanks, I know there is Appel silicon work going on as well but Avid needs to keep hitting on bug fixes/quality improvements. And ideally have less fragile releases.

And thankfully Pro Tools First was killed off... I hope that the single binary release helps simply testing and bug fix/release management.
Old 07-02-2022, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by take77 View Post
As a workaround attempt, what happens if you select the clip length on the grid & consolidate the clip again after experiencing the issue? (Opt+Shift+3 "Alt" Windows)

Does it undo the problem?

I've had to do that when unable to enter a note at the beginning of a clip. After re-consolidating the clip I could enter the note.
Hopefully with the new fixes this isn't a problem.

Haven't had a chance to update yet but maybe you guys can give that a try as a temporary workaround.
Now is definitely the time to get our individual discoveries escalated while MIDI fixes are on the board!

Thanks again Team AVID for the effort put into getting the MIDI features up to par!
Thanks for the suggestion! I just tried consolidating it again, and it didn't fix the issue. However, I discovered a new aspect of my bug. If I follow my same operations while in Grid mode, everything works the way it should. My bug only happens when I create the clip by consolidating in Slip mode, which could be why some may have trouble reproducing this bug. Obviously when we're using MIDI we're in Grid mode most of the time, but it's pretty weird that this would just not work in Slip mode–it was a unique instance, but I needed to use MIDI in Slip mode yesterday, which is how I discovered the bug
Old 07-02-2022, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
I tried quantizing multiple times and couldn't recreate the quantizing bug, but per my other post, maybe it has to do with the grid/slip settings somehow? There's definitely something wrong with MIDI note selection in 2022.6 either way, and I don't doubt that this is happening for you since the bug I'm getting is so similar