Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2022, 10:09 AM

Default PT Ultimate - one licence - two machines?

My PT Ultimate runs on my studio Mac with an ilok.

Can I transfer the PT licence from the iLok to the iLok cloud and then use PT either on my studio MAc or on my Macbook Pro?

Thanks for your help.
Old 12-08-2022, 10:17 AM

Default Re: PT Ultimate - one licence -two machines?

Sure in principle, but the moment you have any network connectivity problem Pro Tools stops working. I would trust a physical iLok over iLok cloud any day. Switch that iLok between systems if needed.
Old 12-08-2022, 10:27 AM

Being able to move to different computers with the same license, it literally the whole reason that iLok was invented in the first place.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 12-08-2022, 10:58 AM

I've used iLock cloud for working between my PC and my Mac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
Being able to move to different computers with the same license, it literally the whole reason that iLok was invented in the first place.
Right.
iLok Cloud is only a viable option if you have a very reliable internet connection on both locations. The second the signal fails, PT will not work. In case you go for that option, this is how it works, in short; you move the license from the iLok key to iLok Cloud. When you need to use PT on the other machine, you do it with a couple of clicks in iLok License Manager, and the license will start working on that mac and stop working on the other. You don't have remember to 'disable' it on the other mac.

But I can't see why you don't just bring the iLok with you.

Another option could be second license. Depends on what you want to use PT on the laptop for. A PT Artist license is on sale now for $80 for one year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
I hear you, but it sucks big time to have to fiddle with the iLok between two computers on a regular basis.
Old 12-08-2022, 01:05 PM

“ I hear you, but it sucks big time to have to fiddle with the iLok between two computers on a regular basis.”

Maybe, but it sucks even more to have your work grind to a halt if/when the ‘net goes down.
Old 12-08-2022, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
“ I hear you, but it sucks big time to have to fiddle with the iLok between two computers on a regular basis.”

Maybe, but it sucks even more to have your work grind to a halt if/when the ‘net goes down.
Or when the iLok servers go down or is under going maintenance. There have been times that everyone using cloud based iLok could not use Protools. There is a time and place to use cloud based iLok. I just would not do it if I had paying clients or deadlines to meet. I'm not sure why it "sucks big time." Unplug iLok...Bring with me...Plug in iLok. I do that all the time.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 12-08-2022, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
...the moment you have any network connectivity problem Pro Tools stops working...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
...The second the signal fails, PT will not work...
A bit of clarification if I may...

Pro Tools does not immediately just stop working if using iLok Cloud and your internet connection gets interrupted. There is a grace period that allows you to continue running, and after a period of time PT will alert you about the interruption so you can correct it - but PT continues to run. A short time later you'll be presented with a dialog that allows the opportunity to Save before quitting so you could then correct the issue (reconnect your internet, or move your license to an iLok using an internet connected machine).

If you have an iLok USB key you might be best served using that, but iLok Cloud is convenient if moving between machines often, or working in an environment where you don't want to leave your iLok USB key with all your licenses exposed.

Use whichever option best suits your needs.
Old 12-08-2022, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues Bird View Post
I hear you, but it sucks big time to have to fiddle with the iLok between two computers on a regular basis.
I work with Protools on two different computers at the same time, both of them running in redundant mode with Satellite Link. That means I have two Protools licenses on two different iLoks, and also keep two pare iLoks. I carry them in a small folder that also carries the rest of my USB flash drives. My computers are never connected to the internet while recording with Protools, so the iLok cloud thing wouldn't work for me.

I guess it's just the way I'm used to working, since I've always used Protools with an iLok since 2003. I've had my rage against iLok and Avid and iLok finally won out and I gave up and accepted it. It is actually the most convenient method of securing Protools licenses.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One