Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2022, 03:26 PM

Default Perpetual License was offered moments ago, now lost accidentally

Hey guys, a moment ago I was on my Account page.

I already own a Perpetual license that expired it's upgrades and/or renewals in 2020 (I'm actually not sure what this meant, but it definitely said that something was expired in 2020).

There was a dropdown menu for a Perpetual Renewal for $349.

Not being sure what all of my options were, I clicked around a few other things (it's a confusing website). I think I was under the Pro Tools Studio tab where there was a button that said "submit." It didn't say *what* I was submitting. I pressed it, regretfully.

Now my account only offers the Subscription license. The $349 option is gone!

I didn't buy anything. All I hit was "submit" on something that I don't even understand. I saw no indication that this would change the layout of everything.

EDIT: It looks like hitting "submit" moved my Perpetual License into the "Cancelled" section. Wow! That felt like a trap! I didn't buy anything or register anything new. I'm was literally just trying to click on options to see what all these numerous tabs were.

How can I get the $349 option back?

I've already tried to reach out to them, but it's Sunday and I suspect that they will take days to get back to me with a generic response that says Perpetuals are no longer offered, even though it was just moments ago. Does anyone know how to un-cancel a perpetual license?
Old 10-16-2022, 03:54 PM

Default Re: Perpetual License was offered moments ago, now lost accidentally

Quote:
I didn't buy anything. All I hit was "submit" on something that I don't even understand. I saw no indication that this would change the layout of everything.
Don't click on stuff without understanding what it is.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Maybe there is a translation issue with some of this making it worse for you?

I can't think what you clicked on for sure. Maybe you converted to a subscription, but that should not cancel your perpetual license... there is no promo I am aware of running that would do that (like has been offered in the past). If you did select "renewal" then you get a new update/support plan, access to the latest stuff and keep using perpetual licenses.

Is anything new showing up in your Avid account or iLok account? Avid know your credit card? Has your credit card been charged?

The way to get help compete a account support request here: https://www.avid.com/learn-and-suppo...-music-support. I think that assumes you have active support plan, which cough if you purchased a subscription or a renewal you now will have

If you get a support case number post it here and that may help Avid folks followup.
Old 10-16-2022, 04:35 PM

My perpetual license is still on my iLok.

But on the Account page, the main change after clicking "submit" is that the $349 option is now gone.
Old 10-16-2022, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiannis View Post
My perpetual license is still on my iLok.

But on the Account page, the main change after clicking "submit" is that the $349 option is now gone.
Not sure what you did. Open a support case. Only Avid can help answer your questions.
Old 10-16-2022, 04:59 PM

Yeah, I emailed them and tried ti chat. I have to wait for a response.

It could be that the $349 option was for renewing my updates and support plan, which had expired in Dec 2020. If that is the case, do you know what that even means? Would that have included a perpetual license to Pro Tools Studio?

The Avid website says this:

“As of April 2022 (Pro Tools 2022.4), Avid is no longer offering the purchase of new perpetual licenses.

However, existing customers can easily upgrade their perpetual license and get back on a current Software Updates + Support Plan. Once upgraded, you get all the new software enhancements and virtual instruments plus one year of software updates, and can renew your support contract as normal. Visit your Avid Account for options and pricing.”

I think that this is what was offered to me for $349, and somehow I deleted that option unwittingly.
Old 10-16-2022, 05:10 PM

Email? Chat? No, try to fill out the online account support form I pointed you at. So support can start looking at your stuff. There is nobody to chat with over a weekend, and even then it's often easier to just file a case and wait for them to get back to you.
Old 10-16-2022, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Email? Chat? No, try to fill out the online account support form I pointed you at. So support can start looking at your stuff. There is nobody to chat with over a weekend, and even then it's often easier to just file a case and wait for them to get back to you.
Thanks, I just did.

Moreover, I *might* be beginning to understand what I changed (even though I had no idea I was making a permanent change).

Under my account, there is the "View My Products" page.

From there, there are several tabs: "My Products," "My Avid Cloud," "My Special Offers," "Cancelled & Expired Subscriptions."

I am currently under the "Cancelled & Expired Subscriptions" tab. Here, I see a "Pro Tools Studio" dropdown. On the left pane (next to my system ID) it says "Perpetual", and the right pane says "Cancelled" (it previously used to say that my upgrades were expired as of December 2020 and it had a dropdown for some purchasing options). I think that this is the page where I saw that "submit" button (which I had no idea what it was doing; I thought it was a way to see more information, not an irreversible permanent change). I suspect that this is where I previously saw the $349 option. But that entire dropdown is gone, so I cannot see what the purchasing options used to be, I just remember one that said Perpetual for $349.

Now moving to the "My Products" tab, I see about 10 dropdown menus on this page, including "Pro Tools Academic 12.5.1" and "Pro Tools Studio" among other miscellaneous ones, such as "Avid Link," "Pro Sound Effects," etc.

Now, looking at the "Pro Tools Studio" dropdown, on the left pane (next to my system ID) it says "Perpetual Product." On the right pane I see that is says ACTIVE and "Your Software Updates + Support Plan expires on Oct 14, 2023" and the dropdown is offering several options. One of them being "Pro Tools Studio $199.00 1-Year Software Updates + Support Plan RENEWAL" and the other options in the dropdown all says "Subscription." So, am I to understand that for $199 I can buy another Perpetual License for the latest Pro Tools version (now known as Pro Tools Studio)? Or am I misunderstanding what this is? Oddly, this is better than the previous $349 option that I initially worried that I lost (though I still do not understand what I would have been getting for $349).

The reasons I am so hesitant here is because I accidentally made that permanent change (as outlined above), and because Avid supposedly is not selling anymore Perpetual licenses. Am I simply grandfathered in to a Perpetual solution? I would be extremely happy if that is the case. I'd like to upgrade to the M2 Mac mini (once released next year presumably) and will most likely need to upgrade my PT version (and I definitely do not want to go with the subscription route).
Old 10-16-2022, 06:30 PM

$349 is a perpetual support/upgrade plan "renewal" it renews an expired support/upgrade plan if you have Pro Tools 9 or later and you support/upgrade plan has lapsed. It's how you get your perpetual license onto the latest version and upgrades/support for another year.

You can't buy new/additional perpetual licenses from Avid, perpetual licenses are no longer sold.

If you want to see what the heck has happened, sync your iLok and look at the release limit date. If it's a year out then yep you purchased a renewal. Avid has your credit card on file? Check it for a transaction.

If you did happen to want to upgrade Pro Tools, this was likely the thing to purchase...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-10-16 at 6.26.50 PM.jpg (39.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-16-2022, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
$349 is a perpetual support/upgrade plan "renewal" it renews an expired support/upgrade plan if you have Pro Tools 9 or later and you support/upgrade plan has lapsed. It's how you get your perpetual license onto the latest version and upgrades/support for another year.

You can't buy new/additional perpetual licenses from Avid, perpetual licenses are no longer sold.

If you want to see what the heck has happened, sync your iLok and look at the release limit date. If it's a year out then yep you purchased a renewal. Avid has your credit card on file? Check it for a transaction.

If you did happen to want to upgrade Pro Tools, this was likely the thing to purchase...

That’s the thing, I didn’t get to a purchase page, and my cc on file expired 2 years ago. This is why I am so baffled as to how I performed such a change so unwittingly.

If that $199 option is for a Perpetual License of the latest PT, then I’m all for it. It’s $150 cheaper than the option that I lost at the beginning of this conversation.

Also, I appreciate all of the responses you’ve given me so far. Thank you very much for taking your time of day.
Old 10-16-2022, 07:16 PM

Also, as I am still puzzled about what this $199 option is, here is a screenshot at the checkout page. It seems to indicate that it is a Perpetual license, but I am not sure (it's dark gray because there's another pane that wants my cc info first, which I did not input yet)

It says "SW DL,UPG/SUP PRO TOOLS RNWL PER" for $199
Attached Images
File Type: jpg perpetual maybe.jpg (20.0 KB, 0 views)