Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 12-12-2014, 04:40 PM

Default Re: Monitoring while recording with native plugins in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
Actually, TDM has more resolution than 32 bit float if gain staged properly. I don't think it makes on lick of difference and sense you don't have to gain stage 32 bit float correctly at all. 32 bit float wins for me. If you really want to get down to the math, 32 bit float is inferior. Functionally it's way better.
Tdm summing buss was 48 bit fixed point. Hdn hdx and pro tool 9 and up hqve 64 bit double precision.

You are mixing the summing engine and the plugin processing in which tdm has a 24 bit fix plugin processing vs 32 bit float for hdn hdx and pro tolls 9 and over. At 24 bit fixed you have less headroom than the 32 bit float, which is why gain staging management was crucial so that you would not distort within the plugins

Wave-T.com
Old 12-13-2014, 08:24 AM

I think that we would all be remiss if we didn't factor the incredible power of the mind and psyche, in the form of expectation bias, into this question. In the past Avid engineers, when they used to come onto this forum, have stated that there should be absolutely no difference in the sound of Native and TDM systems. Nothing has changed since then besides the fact that now both Native and DSP systems have the same summing architecture. To conclude that this is for sound quality reasons only or at all is erroneous at best.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
the fact that now both Native and DSP systems have the same summing architecture. To conclude that this is for sound quality reasons only or at all is erroneous at best.

What?
They sure didn't waste that time coding b/c it was going to make it worse.

And if avid is not in the sound quality market I don't know what market they are in.
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:04 PM

Ok, so you're gonna be one of the folks making those erroneous conclusions. Hey, what are ya gonna do except say; rock on with your bad self then.

Just please don't forget about the expectation bias stuff.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:32 PM

So I don't propose to know the math, if I did I would probably be working for avid or another like them, however to say that this would not be an improvement in architecture (sound or quality, or leading to an improved software model) would be a bit short sighted, I would think

Otherwise they would have made native follow to TDM's standard.

Now we can all swallow the pill we want to swallow (expectation bias) but I would not expect a company that makes its money in audio to go backwards in its tech development. Because if it did it would be to its own detriment, which is not self sustaining

Old 12-14-2014, 08:56 PM

Are you saying that Avid as a rule makes self sustaining marketplace decisions? If you mean short term sustaining then I would agree with you. Unfortunately, these short term market plans rarely involve improved product based decisions. They almost always involve short term extra cash business decisions like firing longtime staff and outsourcing code writing. These type of decisions rarely result in a better product. The better product usually happens despite the management decisions.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:35 PM

Your right, it doesn't work out for the better. In fact I heard rumors about a future release might have an 8 bit fixed summing mixer.

Got to get that subscription now

Old 12-07-2022, 03:07 PM

Hey I know this is old but still recent...

However, is there a way to avoid this behavior? I want Pro Tools to disable all native plugins also those after a DSP plugin.
Old 12-08-2022, 01:42 PM

In Hybrid Mode the above behavior no longer applies. It’s either or.
No mixing DSP before Native (record behavior)
Old 02-08-2023, 05:35 PM

Well Hybrid mode seems to be no solution for me. It changes every plugin available to a DSP-plugin. Lots of plugins I don’t need while tracking and furthermore when recording the whole band the plugins are too much at all for my DSP cards. Don’t want to talk about crazy switching times and even more thinking about the native/DSP thing than in non-hybrid mode, for example to avoid disabling reverbs on aux tracks and so on.

I’m used to use just one channel strip plugin while recording for most of the times that’s set to DSP. Some drum gates where native and before that channel strip, so disabled automatically while on record. But then there are some heavy compressors and limiters after the channel strip which I also don’t want to have active while recording. So I have to make them inactive manually which sucks.

If you say zero-latency while recording is priority this doesn’t make sense to me. At least there should be an option to change this behavior. From programming side this must be no big deal. Audio from Interface to DSP-Mixer and back to Interface. Every plugin which would result in routing to the host-CPU must be skipped in record mode.

There might be scenarios where you need to use a native plugin which is not available as DSP-plugin while recording and can accept the latency or maybe latency is so low due to buffer setting and/or the plugin itself has no big latency. In this case you should just be able to activate this native plugin in record state manually.

Just my thoughts about it.