Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2008, 11:13 AM

Default Best cases ya\'ll are using.

What's some recommended computer cases you guys are using these days?

I just modded my old steel full-size tower so i could put two fans on the outside cover, (one intake right in front of my Freezer 7, and one venting the other direction right behind the Freezer 7.) Just busted out the drill and went to down. Lowered my temps a few degrees, but I might be into upgrading my case soon. What's hot on the street these days as far as cases go? lol.

kip
Old 06-02-2008, 06:29 AM

Default Re: Best Desktops for PTLE

Quote:
Sorry for the cross-post but I wanted to share my experience.

Please let me add something for folks that might make the same mistake...

UNITED MICRO is recommended in the Best Desktop page as computer builders.
I took that advice and I would NEVER recommend anyone else do the same.

I practically had to beg them to take my business. (They don't follow up emails or phone calls)
I would ask them the same questions over and over and they wouldn't answer.

Finally, the computer arrived and one of the HDs was not installed.

I called them a few more times for the "Lifetime tech support."
Um...they don't really mean that. They don't do any support.

This is just my experience. However, their reviews are dreadful here on resellerratings:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/United_Micro_Inc

I am very grateful to all the folks (Allen!) that put their brains into helping me build
my PT system. However, there must be some other computer builder that folks
have had good experiences with. Let's add a company like that and give them our business.

Thanks for listening,

-todd amodeo

http://toddamodeo.com
I'm thinking of trying these folks ... Anyone here ever used them?

http://www.wootcomputers.com/daw/daw_core2.html
Old 06-04-2008, 12:24 PM

Everyone seems to be talking about computers they're building from scratch. I am not tech savvey. Can someone recomend a PC laptop computer from a manufacturer (already built) that will work with MBOX001 and Pro Tools?

Bonus if the laptop sells for under 800 bucks.......

Thanks!!!
Mbox 1
Protools LE for intel based macs
Old 06-07-2008, 04:10 PM

You can still find iBook G4 1Ghz laptops on Ebay for around 500.00. These work well with your MBox001 hardware. I have one I'll sell when I get my new MacBook Pro. Should be soon. Fire me an email if interested. Great little laptop with brand new battery. I also have an iMac G4 700mhz for sale and a couple iMac G5 1.7 Ghz that work well with MBox001.

[email protected]

Allen
Old 06-07-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Sorry for the cross-post but I wanted to share my experience.

Please let me add something for folks that might make the same mistake...

UNITED MICRO is recommended in the Best Desktop page as computer builders.
I took that advice and I would NEVER recommend anyone else do the same.

I practically had to beg them to take my business. (They don't follow up emails or phone calls)
I would ask them the same questions over and over and they wouldn't answer.

Finally, the computer arrived and one of the HDs was not installed.

I called them a few more times for the "Lifetime tech support."
Um...they don't really mean that. They don't do any support.

This is just my experience. However, their reviews are dreadful here on resellerratings:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/United_Micro_Inc

I am very grateful to all the folks (Allen!) that put their brains into helping me build
my PT system. However, there must be some other computer builder that folks
have had good experiences with. Let's add a company like that and give them our business.

Thanks for listening,

-todd amodeo

http://toddamodeo.com
I'm thinking of trying these folks ... Anyone here ever used them?

http://www.wootcomputers.com/daw/daw_core2.html
wow that was years ago I posted that. I can remove it. I'd recommend sticking with the new iMac Core 2 Duo 20" or 24" now. Can't beat them for the price and performance. You can get the 20" for under aK now on www.apple.com refurb. department. I just got a 24" 2.8Ghz Extreme iMac Core 2 Duo for 1599.00. Its a plug and play with these iMacs right out of the box and comes with Garageband too, 500 GB HD, 2GB ram. If you are still using the 001 then you will still need to use an older computer or make the jump. I went to the M-Audio Firewire 1814 and like it alot. Still have my 001 on an old A7M266 motherboard computer which works well too.
Hard to beat the new Macs though for quietness and form/function as well as no spyware/adware/virus issues.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:16 AM

hi there, new user to the site guys - i have a lot of reading to do hey !

a friend of a friend is selling a computer and i'm interested in getting an mbox2 with the pro tools 7 pack to do some recordings with the ol' guitar and maybe get a keyboard etc. the seller seems to know their stuff and the computers specs are below. Would I require a second hard disk drive to record the audio?

Pentium 4 3.2ghz with Hyper Threading
1.5gb Legend RAM
2 x 200gb Seagate SATA Hard Drives setup in a super fast RAID0
1 x 80gb Western Digital SATA Hard Drive
Radeon 9200 Graphics
2 x LG GSA-4163B DVD Wtiters
Asus P4P800-E Deluxe Motherboard with heaps of features including RAID
Zalman computer cooler
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Pro

any feedback on the below set up is welcomed, thanks for your help

Richo
Old 06-11-2008, 05:31 AM

Default Re: Best Desktops for PTLE and digi 001

Hi -

I've just found this site - and I'm assuming that what I'm looking for is probably already posted on here somewhere - but where?

Basically, all I want is to buy/build the fastest PC desktop I can, that will run compatably with a Digi001...and the 'newest' compatable version of PTLE which will run with a 001 (which I understand is 6.4?)

My understanding is that a DIGI 001 running with such an old version of PTLE will not take advantage of the latest quadcores etc available..... or?

So without changing the 001, whats the best I can do with rig built out or currently avaible parts??

Appreciate any help!
Old 06-11-2008, 12:19 PM

6.4cs9 is the latest version of PT that will support the 001.

The latest plug in update is 6.4cs6.

I would build a Core 2 Duo system that you could update later to a Quad if you decide to upgrade your interface - that covers the P965, 975X, P35, X38 and X48 chip sets.

Truthfully with the Q6600 priced at 209.00 or so you might just build a Quad-that would be cheaper than buying a Core 2 Duo and upgrading later.

Snag a ASUS P5K standard and drop a CPU in it, any modern Core Series CPU should work even the lowly Pentium Dual Core.

While your 001 may not take advantage of multi core you should be able to assign any Rewire plug ins like REASON or LIVE to their own cores and run them without any effect on PT whatsoever.

None of this of course is Digi approved but they dropped official support for the 001 several years ago anyway.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 06-27-2008, 12:11 PM

Hi! Just learned that my motherboard most likely will not let me run PTLE 7.4. Since my setup is quite new, I thought I'd try another motherboard before getting a new computer.

I've seen some Asus boards mentioned in this thread. Any board I should go for, that is more safe than others? All I want is a stable system, no need for oc.

As long as I can use my Vista Ultimate and Q6600 with the motherboard, I'm happy.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:09 PM

Hola,
I, like several others here, am attempting to build my first system from scratch. I'll give my parts list and then ask a few questions I have regarding compatibility and performance.

Asus P5K deluxe/WiFi-AP LGA 775 Intel P35.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4Ghz 2x4MB L2 Cache LGA 775.
4 MB DDR2 1066 Ram.
2- 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0GB/s Hard Drives.
A video card to support 2 monitors.
2- Cd/DVD Drives

I am running old school with original Mbox and PTLE 6.4. I don't plan to do any serious recording on the Mbox.(I have a Korg D888 for recording) Mostly mixing.
1) Will this new computer even work with my current Hardware/Software combo?

I still need to pick an Operating System.
2) Is XP still the way to go?

I read something about 64 bit capability and useage of Ram.
3) Which XP is best for my current setup?

Power Source.
4) Is 400W to 450W enough power?

Please throw up any possible red flags in this system you see that I may have missed.
My budget is less than $1000 bucks and I think I can build a sweet system under this price.
Thanks for the help.