Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 01-23-2022, 01:07 PM

Default Re: Hardware Insert No Signal

If you want to be able to use Hardware I/O regularly and quickly - the easiest way to make everything simple and straightforward is to move the Mon L/R in Console to Output 31/32 (or wherever your highest output is dependant on what Apollo you have.

This free’s you up to have 1/2 on the Apollo be 1/2 in Pro Tools for both In and Out, 3/4 can be 3/4 etc etc.

You can easily make Pro Tools default outs be 31/32 in the I/O Window so you don’t really notice the difference. Having to remember that Hardware Insert 6 is actually 4 on the Apollo is a royal pain in the arse when you’re actually mixing and working fast in my experience. This and the moving target of delay compensation is one of main reasons I’m still running HD I/O’s and HD Native in my room.
Old 01-24-2022, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdrums63 View Post
I'm using a Daking Pre/Eq MkII. I am able to track with it into pro tools it is when I try to use the EQ in the mix that I have problems. I have pro tools I/O set up for UAD (Line 1/2 in pro tools =mon L/R. Line 1/2 pro tools = Line3/4 in Apollo as per UAD set up instructions. I have ( through a patchbay) Apollo Line Out 3 to king Line In, Daking Line Out to Apollo Line In 3.
The problem is as Darell first noted -- from the screen shot of your PT Insert page - there are a couple issues :

#1 all you inserts are shifted by two numbers between the Name column (vertical) and the UAD channel list (horizontal) the Insert 1-2 is shifted to 3-4 and 3-4 are shifted to 5-6. and so on
#2 Such that your Daking is on channel 5 not 3

I am guessing this is because of what TJ Allen said about How the Apollo sees the monitor channels So seems to me either you need to rename everything the Name column (i.e. rename insert 1-2 into 3-4 and so on down the line) or choose the last pair of Outputs on the Apollo as the monitor outs

Also You say tracking it works, but using it as an insert in mixing it doesn't ??? I am not sure why but,,,,, IMO the beauty of HW as inserts is you don't have to change any routing (In other words ) I use my HW FX as inserts when tracking and mixing ..

Also you do not have to uncheck anything for your Hardware inserts to work correctly

Using my insert page I renamed channel 3 to say Daking1 this is what your insert page should look like
And as I said done correctly you never have to change the routing on any channel to track something. You simply insert that Daking on that vocal or guitar track etc. like any other plugin a your done . Easy Peezy

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 01-25-2022 at 05:49 AM.
Old 11-09-2022, 01:00 AM

It seems TJ Allen’s suggestion to change the Outputs inside Console I/O Matrix from 1&2 to 31&32 worked for me I was having the same issues. But every since I did this as of last night it’s working smooth. I will do more testing tomorrow, I also wanted to note I deleted all Pro Tools Input/Output/Bus preferences in Pro Tools I/O. I did also route the section in the bottom of the Output menu and changed them all options to Output 31&32 as Main Mon L/R routed to 31&32. Thanks again TJ Allen!
Old 11-09-2022, 01:53 PM

When troubleshooting any Apollo for issues with sound I also tried to make sure the ALT OUTPUT is not assigned. Sometimes it gets screwed up when updating the UAD software. I keep a copy of my console settings and my Protools I/O settings in Dropbox.

My settings for now:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SKSmix_Apollo2022.jpg (57.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg SKSmix_Inserts.jpg (38.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg SKSmix_Protools2022.jpg (43.3 KB, 0 views)

"please stop OVER-complicating simple things"