Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2014, 06:20 AM

Default Uninstalling earlier version of pro tools on mavericks

I'm ready to install Pro Tools 11, but I'd like to remove PT8 first. Here's the problem, I just finished upgrading to mavericks not knowing the uninstall for PT8 does not work in mavericks. So should I use time machine to go back to the old mac osx, do the uninstall, then upgrade to mavericks again?

Anyone else had this situation, or have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

15" Mid 2010 Macbook Pro, i7
Old 01-29-2014, 07:33 AM

Default Re: Uninstalling earlier version of pro tools on mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosme View Post
I'm ready to install Pro Tools 11, but I'd like to remove PT8 first. Here's the problem, I just finished upgrading to mavericks not knowing the uninstall for PT8 does not work in mavericks. So should I use time machine to go back to the old mac osx, do the uninstall, then upgrade to mavericks again?

Anyone else had this situation, or have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

15" Mid 2010 Macbook Pro, i7
I would use time machine to go back to the old OS, that's the least amount of messing about. Are you planning on using the co-install? You ARE aware that PT10 co-install is NOT supported in Mavericks.

I would suggest that you go to Mountain Lion 10.8.5 if you need to still use PT10 for RTAS reasons/Co-install. IF you're worried about missing out on the 'free' upgrade to mavericks; you can create a bootable 10.9 installer on a USB thumb drive. It's quite easy to do, then you have it.

If you're set on using Mavericks, I next suggest, that you do a clean wipe install of Mavericks. DO NOT USE migration assistant, do a clone of your bare bones Mavericks system. Then begin installing PT's following the instructions. There are almost 100 threads in here on this exact subject.

Have fun
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 01-29-2014, 08:10 AM

Well, I have the same problem here. I have been running Mavericks on my iMac with PT 10 for some months now without realizing that it may cause some problems.
It has not been problems with composing etc. I was about to update PT 10 to 10.3.8 when i recognised the problem.
For me to uninstall Mavericks or go back via time machine will be difficult because several projects will be lost.
I want to upgrade to PT 11.03, but wonder if i can do that, keeping my version of PT 10 without getting rid of Mavericks
Old 01-29-2014, 09:44 AM

Back up your stuff, erase hard drive, clean install Mavericks, put your stuff back, clean install Protools
Old 01-29-2014, 10:22 AM

I'm weighing out my options here, thank you for your input
Old 01-29-2014, 10:48 AM

Default Uninstalling earlier version of pro tools on mavericks

Yep, the only real way to be really sure is a full clean OS X install. And that is an especially good idea if the last OS X install in this system was an in-situ upgrade. Time machine is an extremely poor choice of tool for OS X recovery. You folks should be using (bootable) image backups for the OS and time machine for user files.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:16 AM

Or maybe sit tight and wait for Avid to solve this issue. Software as new as pro tools 10 should absolutely be compatible with the latest operative systems on mac!
Old 01-29-2014, 11:48 AM

Yeah I was actually thinking the same thing, since I have the option of waiting a little bit being that this is my backup/mobile system. My primary is already on PT11 and working like a dream, but I do get to take this one out often on odd jobs.
I think there's a growing need for avid to fix this right now. It seems more and more people are going to need it, especially the ones trying to go to pro tools 11 like me.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakofred View Post
Or maybe sit tight and wait for Avid to solve this issue. Software as new as pro tools 10 should absolutely be compatible with the latest operative systems on mac!
I wouldn't hold your breath on this. There are a number of posts about this, and there has been word from Avid reps at NAMM that they have no intention of supporting 10 on Mavericks.

Don't take my word for it. I would get yourself a copy of Carbon Copy Cloner, make a bootable clone of your current system. Create a bootable USB Mavericks installer, wipe your main drive, install Mavericks, Clone that system. Then begin installing whatever you want, PT 10/11.*.* and test it. PT 10 cannot be uninstalled, so the best thing to do is just have a barebones clone (which you should have anyways in case something happens)

I have yet to see any system performance enhancements with Pro Tools 10 and Mavericks that can't be done in Mountain Lion. Mountain Lion is super stable for a great deal of users, so unless you're forced into Mavericks then I would just hold back on the upgrades.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 01-29-2014, 02:19 PM

What I'm trying to do a clean install of is 11. Thanks for the info!