Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 01-05-2022, 07:45 PM

Default PT 9/10/current

Greetings, I am a newbie here although I been here before for advice. I bought PT 9 to 10 free upgrade, and never upgraded. I recently bought an m1 macbook pro and realised I have access to a PT install 2021.6, would my PT 10 perpetual license activate it, or do need to upgrade license (not the support but the software).
Old 01-05-2022, 08:00 PM

Default Re: How to Open Pro Tools 10 Session in Pro Tools 2021.7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dread View Post
Greetings, I am a newbie here although I been here before for advice. I bought PT 9 to 10 free upgrade, and never upgraded. I recently bought an m1 macbook pro and realised I have access to a PT install 2021.6, would my PT 10 perpetual license activate it, or do need to upgrade license (not the support but the software).
Hi Welcome to DUC.

No your Pro Tools 10 perpetual license will not activate any version of Pro Tools later than Pro Tools 10. Pro Tools versions went ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 2018.x, 2019.x, ..., 2021.12 ... so there are many years, and many new features, between 10 and more current releases.

You may not have any option to upgrade your license and may need to purchase a monthly or annual subscription.

You just missed out or a promotional program Avid was running to allow users to update an expired renewal/support plan and get back on a current version. Avid currently only lets users with a current support plan renew that plan. There is no way to just "buy an upgrade" to a old perpetual license (well you could look for used licenses... but I strongly advise against that unless you really know what you are doing with buying/selling Pro Tools licenses). Users with a lapsed plan (or who never had a renewal plan) are supposed to move to a subscription. That promotional plan that did allow users to update old perpetual versions and get on a new annual support/update plant officially ended December 31st, you might try a dealer (pick somebody who really knows what they are talking about, like Vintage King) and see if there is any way they can get you what you just missed out on.

Otherwise a subscription may not be the worse thing if you need to be on the latest stuff, and it now includes the complete plugin bundle and Heat (as does a current update/support plan if indeed you could get one of those). You can also try out a free one month trial to see if you want to upgrade.

Oh and this thread has nothing to do with licensing, and is not even in the licensing section. In future please don't post like this onto the end of somebody else's unrelated thread that ends up making a mess of topics/threads here. Use the "New Thread" button in each forum section (yes sadly it a bit non-obvious but up near the top of each section) and create your own thread--unless there is something that covers exactly what you are after.
Old 01-05-2022, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Hi Welcome to DUC.

No your Pro Tools 10 perpetual license will not activate any version of Pro Tools later than Pro Tools 10. Pro Tools versions went ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 2018.x, 2019.x, ..., 2021.12 ... so there are many years, and many new features, between 10 and more current releases.

You may not have any option to upgrade your license and may need to purchase a monthly or annual subscription.

You just missed out or a promotional program Avid was running to allow users to update an expired renewal/support plan and get back on a current version. Avid currently only lets users with a current support plan renew that plan. There is no way to just "buy an upgrade" to a old perpetual license (well you could look for used licenses... but I strongly advise against that unless you really know what you are doing with buying/selling Pro Tools licenses). Users with a lapsed plan (or who never had a renewal plan) are supposed to move to a subscription. That promotional plan that did allow users to update old perpetual versions and get on a new annual support/update plant officially ended December 31st, you might try a dealer (pick somebody who really knows what they are talking about, like Vintage King) and see if there is any way they can get you what you just missed out on.

Otherwise a subscription may not be the worse thing if you need to be on the latest stuff, and it now includes the complete plugin bundle and Heat (as does a current update/support plan if indeed you could get one of those). You can also try out a free one month trial to see if you want to upgrade.

Oh and this thread has nothing to do with licensing, and is not even in the licensing section. In future please don't post like this onto the end of somebody else's unrelated thread that ends up making a mess of topics/threads here. Use the "New Thread" button in each forum section (yes sadly it a bit non-obvious but up near the top of each section) and create your own thread--unless there is something that covers exactly what you are after.
Thank you and very sorry, its a little confusing for me the first time posting here. I was unsure, hence explaining I am new here hoping just in case I offend. I Apologize
Old 01-05-2022, 09:06 PM

Default Re: PT 9/10/current

Hi, welcome to the community.

Nothing to worry, I split the thread and now you have one of your own.

As explained, your license has aged and you just missed the "Get Current" promo that ended on newyears. Your best bet is to contact some resellers and see what they can possibly do for you. If it does not work, take a look at the Buy And Sell section here, someone is pretty much always selling a license for better price than you would get for a new license purchase.

Subscription may not be for you if you have so far been content with PT10 license. Subscription means PT will not launch after you stop paying for it.
Old 01-05-2022, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dread View Post
Thank you and very sorry, its a little confusing for me the first time posting here. I was unsure, hence explaining I am new here hoping just in case I offend. I Apologize
Hey no problem, I was more pointing out so you can get better help if you need it in future. And I know that "New Thread" button hides. BTW some of the links up the top of each DUC web page are handy, and may be worth reading, like Knowledge base search, Help us help you and Terms of use. And for best search of DUC, actually use Google... by adding a

site: duc.avid.com

to your search term. That Google search can often help answer lots of questions.
Old 01-06-2022, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Hey no problem, I was more pointing out so you can get better help if you need it in future. And I know that "New Thread" button hides. BTW some of the links up the top of each DUC web page are handy, and may be worth reading, like Knowledge base search, Help us help you and Terms of use. And for best search of DUC, actually use Google... by adding a

site: duc.avid.com

to your search term. That Google search can often help answer lots of questions.
Much thanks and appreciated, I messed up my first post. In Trinidad and Tobago we don't have sellers to ask info, so over the years since my introduction with PT Mpowered 7 I keep coming here to answer question by reading threads and finally joined. I guess it's the excitement lol
Old 01-06-2022, 10:45 AM

When you say you have access to 2021.6 what do you mean?

Some Resellers may have stockpiled Reinstatement codes as they did when Avid ended selling Reinstatements the first time back at the end of 2019. You don't need to find a Reseller in Trini, you can deal with any Avid Reseller worldwide, you'll only be purchasing a code which you would input in your MyAvid Account. Just make sure you're actually purchasing an Upgrade & Support Plan Reinstatement, not a crosstree to a Subscription. Sweetwater has good customer service, you may want to try them first.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction