Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2012, 09:11 AM

Angry Only have access to PT9.0 Full installer+Updates, Installation failed on Lion 10.73

Just Upgraded to lion, fresh installed and then updated to 10.73, and I don't have access to download of any full installer of any version higher than 9.0, but I can download updates.

Now I'm trying to install with the Pro Tools 9.0 Full Installer that I have, it'll say installation failed after the "writing files" bar goes for a minute. Tried to "Uninstall Pro Tools" and then reboot, and the installation will fail again.

After doing a bit of search, it seems that I have to have a 9.0.5 Full installer to install first, which I don't have and can't get.

Please let me know if someone has a workaround for this situation, it's very important for me to have Pro Tools on my mac.

[Background story: WHY I can't have access to download of 9.0.5 full installer]
------------------

Shortly after PT9 was released, I purchased it through ebay from an seller located in indonesia for a very, very low price, I was confident because the seller has 100% positive feedback. I got an authorization code and with that I successfully got it registered on my Avid account, and downloaded the license to my iLok account, everything was fine until a few weeks later I found that the PT9 product was removed from my Avid account and Avid has sent me a deletion request license to my iLok account, to remove my PT9 iLok license.

So I phoned Avid customer service and had a long chat with them, they said my license was returned and that's why they removed it from my account and requested me to delete my PT9 iLok license. This obviously happened after I gave the ebay seller a positive feedback, and it seems that the seller has some way to return the license after I've registered it. Avid said they got a few cases like this and they were looking into this.

Of course I didn't give back my PT9 license, I deleted the removal license Avid sent me. However Avid can't do anything (or in another way, refused) to give back my PT9 registration on Avid account.

So yes, that's why I don't have access to full installer downloads. I was screwed by Avid, and here are the reason for saying so:

1. At the time of my purchase, Avid NEVER made notice to ANYONE that you HAVE TO purchase PT9 at an authorized reseller (the ebay guy obviously is not) to be able to legitimately use it. There may be recommendations in doing that but that's it.

2. Avid cancelled MY registration of their product, while they have NO PROOF that I, the person who registered it, am the one who returned the license. However, they decide to punish ME by taking away the registration, rather than the actually person who returned it.

3. If it was a legitimate return, Avid should ask for the license back AT THE RETURN, FROM THE PERSON WHO RETURNED IT, rather than asking for it from the end user. And if it's because this is how their return system works, then it's obviously a big flaw of this system, and Avid should be responsible for any loss cause by the flaw of their system, no the end user or any user.

------------------

And that's the ranting part, that's another different topic, again if anyone has a workaround for the installation issue I have at hand please reply, as I desperately need Pro Tools running here.

Macbook Pro 17" A1189, Mac OSX 10.7.5, Intel Core2 Duo 2.6GHz, 2x2GB RAM@667Mhz

Apogee Mini-Me
Apogee Mini-DAC
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Euphonix MC Mix

Pro Tools 9.0.6
Logic Pro X 10.0.3
Old 03-29-2012, 01:03 PM

Shawn this is what I did I got mine off of eBay as well and I didn't get the registration code I just got the ilock license asset

I purchased the disks the ones that you obviously have as well and I installed it however I was on Snow Leopard

So then I got the updates off the website I was running 9.03 - I upgraded to lion and it brought my ProTools installation right over into lion I did not have to reinstall anything
Not ProTools not Adobe not Microsoft not anything

So for what it's worth it might be worth your trouble and hassle to reinstall Snow Leopard install ProTools and then reinstall lion.

I was prepared for trouble so I actually cloned my hard drive before I downloaded lion that way I wouldn't have to reinstall anything so I had a second clone bootable copy of my Snow Leopard hard drive in another drive before I downloaded lion - carbon copy cloner rocks

But in case you didn't do that you will need to reinstall Snow Leopard then install ProTools then update Snow Leopard then install lion I believe it might not be worth the hassle

But I would not count on avid giving you a download link for the full installer (9.0.5) don't think that's gonna happen
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:18 PM

Default Re: Only have access to PT9.0 Full installer+Updates, Installation failed on Lion 10.

I'm pretty sure if you legitimately upgrade to Pro Tools 10 through the Avidstore the only thing you will be required to do is surrender the Pro Tools 9 license. This should get you out of this mess and give you a legitimate Pro Tools 10 license and all the downloaders available from your account.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:26 PM

Default Re: Only have access to PT9.0 Full installer+Updates, Installation failed on Lion 10.

Thanks for the replies, I've got the problem solved...for now.

I guess I'm really lucky. I re-installed Lion (fresh install) and at 10.7.0 I installed pro tools 9.0, and it went through, and then I was able to upgrade to PT 9.0.6.

This basically means that If I upgrade to a newer version of Lion and for any reason I have to redo an installation of Pro Tools 9 after that, I'll have to re-install the entire operating system.

Macbook Pro 17" A1189, Mac OSX 10.7.5, Intel Core2 Duo 2.6GHz, 2x2GB RAM@667Mhz

Apogee Mini-Me
Apogee Mini-DAC
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Euphonix MC Mix

Pro Tools 9.0.6
Logic Pro X 10.0.3