Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2016, 02:08 AM

Default Committing aux tracks renders a lot of silence

I'm working on a feature film and wanted to use the new commit track function to archive the project and make it safe to open in the future. I have consolidate clips unchecked. But when I commit an aux track Pro Tools renders audio every time there is audio on a track with a bus routed to the aux track even if nothing is sent trough the bus to the aux track. This makes Pro Tools take up al lot of disk space with just silence. I don't now if this is a bug, bad coding or a function that needs to be for some reason.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:28 AM

Default Re: Committing aux tracks renders a lot of silence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljudit View Post
I'm working on a feature film and wanted to use the new commit track function to archive the project and make it safe to open in the future. I have consolidate clips unchecked. But when I commit an aux track Pro Tools renders audio every time there is audio on a track with a bus routed to the aux track even if nothing is sent trough the bus to the aux track. This makes Pro Tools take up al lot of disk space with just silence. I don't now if this is a bug, bad coding or a function that needs to be for some reason.
Make a selection first.

Commit uses a level threshold to determine if there is signal present. Maybe you have some low level info that's causing it to think there's signal?

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:37 AM

Yeah I thought that too but I can assure you, there is nothing there. I tried to gain the clips as much as I could and zoom in the waveforms. Just silence.
Make a selection first didn't make any difference.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:59 AM

Dither? Analog modeling "noise"?

Sorry, forgot to add that once you make a selection, in the Commit dialog, choose Edit Selection and not Selected Tracks in the pulldown.

Old 01-13-2016, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
Dither? Analog modeling "noise"?
Maybe. But as I said, I gained up the committed audio as much as possible and zoomed in the waveforms. There is no audio there.

Quote:
Sorry, forgot to add that once you make a selection, in the Commit dialog, choose Edit Selection and not Selected Tracks in the pulldown.
Did that. No difference.

You can replicate this by creating a new project, import some audio on a new track, route a bus to a new aux track, commit the aux track. The bus volume is at infinity zero but still there will be a rendered clip on the aux track.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljudit View Post
You can replicate this by creating a new project, import some audio on a new track, route a bus to a new aux track, commit the aux track. The bus volume is at infinity zero but still there will be a rendered clip on the aux track.
could not replicate, works fine here. The pulldown resets each time you do it, so you have to select Edit Selection each time FYI.

Old 01-13-2016, 05:46 AM

Quote:
could not replicate, works fine here. The pulldown resets each time you do it, so you have to select Edit Selection each time FYI.
I made a short video to show what happens https://www.dropbox.com/s/0vs6kwtmuv...0test.mp4?dl=0