Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2015, 02:19 AM

Default OMF force to target session format bug

Sometimes when I import OMF files Pro Tools can't find the audio. I usually select Force to target session format in the import window to convert aif files to wav. But when I try to relink the audio files Pro Tools still can't find them because it thinks the files should be wav files now but it's aif. I have to relink every file manually. Now all the audio is in the project but the files is still in the OMF folder and not in the project folder and the file format is still aif. I didn't have this problem in PTHD10. Is someone having the same issue?

I'm using PTHD11.3.2 on Yosemite 10.10.4 but had this problem since i firs installed PTHD11
Old 10-02-2015, 02:52 AM

Default Re: OMF force to target session format bug

Basic rule : always use embedded OMF Export (excluding video media) from the Video NLE to prevent having issue with OMF imports.

Then convert your session to WAV if you need to.

Or use AAF, if available.
PT12.4 / VEP5.3.1 / MacOSX.11.1 (MBP)
PT 10.3.10 / PT11.3.2 / PT12.4 / VEP5.3.1 / MacOSX.8.5 (MM "Production" on SSD)
PT 12.4 / VEP5.3.1 / MacOSX.11.1 (MM "test" on HDD)
RME UFX (USB2 with MM and Firewire with MBP)
+ Vienna Ensemble Pro Server on PC Q6600/8Gb/Win7-Pro64-SP1
Old 10-02-2015, 07:14 AM

What program is the OMF coming from?

Also OMF/AAF questions should be in the Post - Video - Surround section. Would you like it moved?

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 10-02-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demodigi View Post
Basic rule : always use embedded OMF Export (excluding video media) from the Video NLE to prevent having issue with OMF imports.

Then convert your session to WAV if you need to.

That's not an option since the file usually will be over 2GB. Have had a lot of problems with OMFs with embedded audio.

What du you mean "then convert your session to WAV"? The conversion is done during the import in Pro Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
What program is the OMF coming from?

Also OMF/AAF questions should be in the Post - Video - Surround section. Would you like it moved?

Mainly Premiere Pro.

You can move it if you want
Old 10-03-2015, 12:55 AM

OK, I'll move it

Premiere is notoriously bad at OMFs

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 10-03-2015, 01:03 AM

Quote:
That's not an option since the file usually will be over 2GB. Have had a lot of problems with OMFs with embedded audio.
Then separate your export : ie 4 track by 4 tracks (or whatever) and no video media.

For long movies, you might have separated rolls. So, 1 export per roll.

That's also what we do with EDL exports (limited to 4 tracks) for post conformation with Titan (2 track video editing with mixdown -> 8 track sound editing from Field recorders media).

Separate audio can have lots of issue.
Embedded is not "issue free" though but prevent from having problem with names (region name and file name, unique names), data/media loss, bad media format (stereo instead of multi-mono, WAV/AIFF/SD2 issues, ), etc…

Quote:
What du you mean "then convert your session to WAV"? The conversion is done during the import in Pro T
Because, you were talking about AIFF (why are you people still working with AIFF ?).
Convert your OMF into an AIFF session. Create a new WAV session -> import session data from your AIFF session into it.

With an embedded OMF you shouldn't have to do this, but with OMF + separate audio media, this could be a workaround.
PT12.4 / VEP5.3.1 / MacOSX.11.1 (MBP)
PT 10.3.10 / PT11.3.2 / PT12.4 / VEP5.3.1 / MacOSX.8.5 (MM "Production" on SSD)
PT 12.4 / VEP5.3.1 / MacOSX.11.1 (MM "test" on HDD)
RME UFX (USB2 with MM and Firewire with MBP)
+ Vienna Ensemble Pro Server on PC Q6600/8Gb/Win7-Pro64-SP1
Old 10-03-2015, 02:56 AM

Yes OMFs from Premiere Pro i awefull but that's not the issue here. The issue is that Pro Tools doesn't copy and convert files when importing OMFs when it can't find the audio files automatically. It's the same when importing ptx files.
Old 10-03-2015, 06:35 AM

Recently I have had better success with opening the omf file itself directly in PT. Then saving the subsequent session and importing that into PT and forcing to wav on the import. Saves doing the manual relink and takes much less time.
Mac M1 Studio Ultra 64GB RAM OSX 13.6, PT Ultimate 2023.12 HDn, MTRX Studio, 2x Avid S1, PT Dock...
Old 10-03-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljudit View Post
Sometimes when I import OMF files Pro Tools can't find the audio. I usually select Force to target session format in the import window to convert aif files to wav. But when I try to relink the audio files Pro Tools still can't find them because it thinks the files should be wav files now but it's aif. I have to relink every file manually. Now all the audio is in the project but the files is still in the OMF folder and not in the project folder and the file format is still aif. I didn't have this problem in PTHD10. Is someone having the same issue?

I'm using PTHD11.3.2 on Yosemite 10.10.4 but had this problem since i firs installed PTHD11

Why do you force to wav, they are essentially the same.
I have been doing link to, for 5 years now, protools can handle it.
also what is wrong with the files still in the OMF folder??

I have my AAF, and OMF files folder in my project before I import session data.
No use duplicating files!!