Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-17-2006, 02:41 PM

Default PTLE7.1 - Weird and inconsistent Midi

Hi all !

I've been running PTLE as my primary DAW for production of radio commercials since about new years and I've nothing but trouble whenever I've tried to use the midi functionality of the software.
My specs: PTLE 7.1; Windows XP SP2, all uppdates applied. ASUS AN8-SLI Premium, AMD Athlon 64x2 4200++, 2 GB RAM, WD Raptor SATA 76 GB system drive, Hitachi Deskstar SATA 250 GB audio drive, GeForce 6600GT 256 MB Fanless, Mbox2 Factory and a M-Audio Keystation 49e USB midi Keyboard.
I'm not making any config problems that I can see, I get sampletank and any other softsynth working correctly and can play "live" both via instrument and midi-tracks.
The weird behaviour happens when I record and play back midi in PTLE. Typically two things happen; Either the midi data is only partially recorded (recording stops after av few seconds and i only get stuck notes from then on) or nothing gets recorded at all.
When I have midi data on a track it will play back differently everytime it's played back from PTLE.At a slower tempo than recorded and with notes dropping out. It's very frustrating and time consuming. Everything else in PTLE is working without a glitch so I'm not sure that PTLE is to blame - could this be some sort of setup problem withing my machine ? Some weird driver issue ? AMD compability problem ? Memory Clock ?
I've tried recording midi data both from the USB connection and by connecting a MIDI-cable from the keyboard to the MBOX2 midi IN, but the results are the same.
It's almost like having a bad buffer setting for the audio card, only now it's midi. I'm not seeing this when I run Reason 3.0 in standalone mode (come to think of it, that sort of rules out a machine wide error).
Since I haven't read about anyone else having an issue with midi playback (plenty of other config problems it seems but not of this variety), I assume this must be a freak thing.
Again, this is not me having problems setting up midi or instrument tracks or the instrument I wanna play, this is PTLE not playing back what I put in. Since Sampletank plays what I play correctly PTLE should have no problem recording the notes being played - right ?
I've been told that PT is not the best sequencing environment out there but this is ridiculous. I'm not replicating a symphony orchestra in midi here - merely laying down some easy phrases to spice up some looped audio and recorded vocals.
I'd really appreciate any help from you pro's.

Best Regards

Kristian
Old 03-17-2006, 04:44 PM

Default Re: PTLE7.1 - Weird and inconsistent Midi

Read through this previous thread, specifically, Phil's solution at the end.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 03-18-2006, 01:54 AM

Default Re: PTLE7.1 - Weird and inconsistent Midi

Thanks !

Ah, I looked at that thread before any solution was posted, wasn't aware of Phils post - thanks for the heads up.
I'm not really keen on wiping the drive but If that's what it takes....

Best regards

Kristian