Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-24-2009, 08:58 AM

Default Patch Names

Hello Everyone,

I have looked through all of the available threads and can not get this going please help.

I have loaded the midnam file for my synth on a MIDI track, E-mu Mo'Phatt.

I checked this midnam file and middev file in simple text and everything looks to be fine. I see this synth /Manufacturer and all of the info that should be there. When I try to load the midnam in the patch view I can not see the patch names or banks.

I get an error message that said:
ProTools could not find appropriate patch names in the currently selected patch name document because either manufacturer/ model information or instrument mode do not match.

Any Ideas??
Old 10-24-2009, 09:53 AM

Default Re: Patch Names

Try deleting and recreating the device in AudioMidi Setup. A couple of times that has cleared up patch list issues for me.
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Old 10-24-2009, 10:17 AM

I did try recreating the whole Midi setup, but I will try that again. Does anyone have any idea what the "Instrument Mode" is that this error message is referring to?
Old 10-24-2009, 11:27 AM

Try opening the midnam file with the Cherry Picker patch list editor. It's pretty good at spotting problems and with the midnam and the middev files. You can find it here: http://www.alterspective.com/cherrypicker/
Old 10-24-2009, 12:21 PM

Thanks I have seen people talking about Cherry Picker. I will see what it looks like. Just not sure why there would be problems with the patch list that comes with PT 8.0.1 ???

And I am not sure that I could tell if there was a problem anyway.

Thanks for the help
Old 10-24-2009, 01:13 PM

Do you have DP (or maybe Cubase) installed also? I remember a problem where if you have duplicate device names (EXACTLY the same name) defined with the middev defintions for two apps, it causes a problem (or something like that). Is that a possibility?
Old 10-24-2009, 04:18 PM

Angry Re: Patch Names

I also have the same problem in Pro Tools. I'm running 7.3 on a Macbook OSX 10.4.11 and trying to connect a Roland GR-20. I've set it up countless times, both the midnam and middev files, used a downloaded midnam and middev file, gone thru the midi setup, deleted and resetup. CherryPicker is supposed to check the middev file automatically when opening the patch file. I downloaded MIDI Monitor, as well, and it shows the signal going thru to the interface (an M-Audio Firewire 1814, in my case). I set up an instrument track, set, configured devices and related in and out. When I try to load the patch file I also get the lame error "Pro Tools could not find appropriate patch names in the currently selected patch name document because either manufacturer/model information or instrument mode do not match." WTH do they mean by instrument mode? I'm afraid I'm going to watch a birthday go by trying to get it to take. I queried M-Audio about it and all I got was to make sure the files are in the correct folders, in other words, they don't have an idea and probably don't care.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:31 PM

Have you tried changing the name of your synth to match the .midnam files name? It works sometimes and other times I have had to edit the header info in the .midnam file to get it to work. Cherrypicker works well but is not perfect. A side to side comparison with a .midnam that works and the one that doesn't will show you what to take out or correct in the header. Once you have it fixed and it works, back it up! It sucks upgrading your system, only to find you lost all your custom patch names! Good luck.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:22 PM

That worked !!!!

Thanks all for your help. This is my first time posting and I wish I had tried this a long time ago.

I hope I can help one of you some time.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by @ndy View Post
Have you tried changing the name of your synth to match the .midnam files name? It works sometimes and other times I have had to edit the header info in the .midnam file to get it to work. Cherrypicker works well but is not perfect. ... Good luck.
After many hard hours over the last couple months ! ! of setting up multiple synths, including synths with expansion cards and customization of midnam files for those, I had one synth in the room that I could not get to pull up with names.. my beloved Roland Alpha Juno 2. I've been there, done that, as I have successfully set up a JV-1080 with four expansion cards, JV-1010 with expansion card, M-GS64, MKS-50, ... have put in my blood, sweat and tears on this project ! !

Just got that last synth working this evening that was tied up with that annoying 'patch names.. instrument mode' error message.
While working with cherry picker, I noticed that when you go to save,
the manufacturer name would get put on the front of the file name if it wasn't there already.

Bingo ! !

I had the synth name 'Alpha Juno 2'
within the contents of the middev file
, (viewed with the mac text edit program)

and the midnam file was named 'Alpha Juno 2.midnam' also...

so the two elements that should be 'matching' were the same, so there still exists the puzzle... why ? ? ! ! ! ! ! !

Considering where cherry picker was headed with the name, I figured 'what have I got to lose ?' ...

so I updated the midnam file name to 'Roland Alpha Juno 2.midnam' and now BOOOOYAAAA! ! it works now ! ! ! Granted, the file was in a 'Roland' folder, but the addition of the Brand of Synth to the midnam file made it happen ! ! :) I hope this works for you, too ! ! !