How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2021, 11:20 AM

Location: Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA, Planet Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy
Default Re: Bought 1 year subscription - does not renew my subscription

Avid got back in touch with me, and suggested a TOTALLY different option than the one Sweetwater recommends.

So now I am confused and pissed off, and so is Sweetwater.

Sweetwater had to create a upgrade wizard on their website to try to help customers navigate the confusing mess. It apparently is no longer giving the correct options either, since Avid has apparently changed the options for people like me with expired subscriptions / perpetual licenses / whatever they call their products these days.

Hopefully within the next 24 hours Sweetwater helps me fix this, or I get all my money back. That simple.

The only reason I have to get current is because I have clients who use Pro Tools at home, and they have newer versions of Pro Tools. I stopped throwing money at Avid long ago, because of this mess and confusion.
Old 12-21-2021, 12:00 PM

You are back to hand waving stuff in a cloud of confusion "suggested something different". No who suggested *exactly* what? There is only only one current promotional product update that will do what you want. I gave you a link to it, named the right option. Buy that. If it turns out you ended up dealing with somebody who is out if their depth at Sweetwater.... get them to at least read this thread if they cannot work out stuff themselves or get help internally. Or just get your money back and buy direct, or call Vintage King. Personally I am giving up on Sweetwater, place seems to be becoming like Guitar Center, had much better experience with Vintage King.

Yes "Avid changed the options"... as in they are have been running a short term promotion to allow folks like you to renew your old perpetual license, to give you exactly what you want here. As I have said clearly in this thread several times. Without that you go pound sand and purchase an annual subscription. So not sure why you are complaining about Avid changing things.
Old 12-21-2021, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noeqplease View Post
...I have an open case now, and I hope they help clear this up...
Sorry for all the frustration.

There are 2 different types of licenses... Perpetual and Subscription.

Perpetual licenses never expire, and include a Software Updates + Support Plan which provides new releases, plug-ins and support for a year which can be renewed annually while active (with a 30-day grace period). Since it's a non-expiring license you can continue running the versions provided even if you let the Software Updates + Support Plan lapse.

Subscription licenses only work while the subscription is active, and basically include updates/etc. since you are paying monthly or annually for them.

You own a Perpetual license (not a Subscription), and the Software Updates + Support Plan for that expired in Mar 2020 which is why Renewal doesn't work.

The current options would be...
  1. Subscription. This would be a new license, and you would keep your perpetual license in case you want to use that at any point for the older versions already provided.
  2. Perpetual License Upgrade (available through 12/31/2021). For Sweetwater, this product is here. It's also the first (default) option listed with your product in my.avid.com/products - with that selected you could click Buy Now to have it redeemed/activated -or- buy it from a reseller to redeem any time. This FAQ explains the Upgrade being offered this month.
Hope that clarifies a bit, and I'll check in the the CS rep on your case and make sure we get this solved for you!
Old 12-21-2021, 12:29 PM

Thanks jeffro, BTW if you look back in this thread you'll see a link to an incorrect KB article that likely helped get Nick messed up here in the first place... and I sure see why that would. Maybe you could kill the article at least for the remaining part of this month?
Old 12-21-2021, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Thanks jeffro, BTW if you look back in this thread you'll see a link to an incorrect KB article that likely helped get Nick messed up here in the first place... and I sure see why that would. Maybe you could kill the article at least for the remaining part of this month?
Thank you for pointing that out! Updated that KB article to reflect the current promo, and will edit again after 12/31.
Old 12-23-2021, 12:00 AM

Location: Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA, Planet Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

Thanks Jeffro.

I got Avid and Sweetwater to talk to each other. Been a client of Digidesign since 1998, using since 1996. Sweetwater since 1998.

Sweetwater built a "upgrade wizard", which recommended one path, while the nice lady at Avid recommended another.

So a day or more and I should have purchased what I should have to begin with, had Avid not been so confusing with so many options.

The Sweetwater guy, is definitely not out of his depth Darryl, that is just you thinking that. He has been selling me stuff since 1998, and is going to retire this year. He absolutely hates how Avid keeps moving the ball for their customers, and is happy to no longer need to keep fixing this mess.

Maybe you need to stop defending Avid so much? They won't give you free stuff for going to bat for them here.

I loved Digidesign. When Avid bought them out, it really went sideways with customer service. Sometimes they are good... and sometimes not. It is what one gets dealing with a larger company. I get that. Yet no other DAW company has this messy upgrade / update options menu, and confusing KB articles, like the one I read where I simply could not tell if it was current / correct / outdated because of their webpage formatting.

I own 4 DAWs in total, due mostly to client's using them, and me needing to import / export audio to and from them more easily, than having to explaining how to do that over the phone or email. None have ever been this hard to "get current."

Darryl, you see "whining" on here from me. Well, I hope Avid reads this whining. I know I am hardly alone in this issue. I hope they again change their update / upgrade options to make them simpler. Because right now, they are not.

Merry Christmas, hope you get something nice for yourself.