Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2000, 01:58 PM

Default IDE better than SCSII?

I just spent too much money on a G4 with a SCSII. Now after reading some other threads it seems some "pros" are saying ditch the SCSII! My problem is this, 20-30 minutes after I do an edit my computer freezes. I copied my session to my IDE drive and it worked fine. I am now trying to format my 36 g SCSII with FWB. It seems like it will make 17 2gb volumes but won't format or initialize it as a 36 g drive. Any thoughts?
Old 12-05-2000, 03:36 PM

Default Re: IDE better than SCSII?

Usually, when you are creating a volume larger than 2Gb with FWB, it tells you that the volume could have problems with earlier op.systems. But if you click on "continue", it will do it without problems. It's just a notice, not a restriction.
Old 12-07-2000, 04:42 PM

ATTO ExpressPro-tools utilities software is a free download from their website: www.attotech.com. Click on support, then downloads. May be worth a try.

If you purchased the ATTO card that comes with the Mac, you may be out of luck. The card ATTO sells Apple has no NV RAM and doesn't work with Pro Tools, so I hear. There's info on this on Digi's website.
Old 12-12-2000, 04:39 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dsrecords:
>>>My problem is this, 20-30 minutes after I do an edit my computer freezes. <<<

Do you have OS 9.0.4 installed? I experienced similar crash problems within Logic after about 30 minutes in OS 8.5.1 on a G3 b/w 400 because of the MIDI interfaces (2x Emagic amt 8 and 1x Unitor 8) connected via USB. Since I upgraded to OS 9.0.4 it works perfect. This might not be a solution for you, but it looks a little bit like it could have to do with USB ??? Did you check the MIDI side of your gear?

Best wishes
Frank