Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2006, 05:28 AM

Default Pro Tools 7 users.

I'm am afraid for my life to upgrade. I am running a Mac g5 single 1.6. gig and a half of RAM. Pro Tools HD2 accel.

I'm running Pro Tools 6.7 on OSX 10.3.5.

If I do the whole upgrade thing...am I going to lose some of my plug-ins? Apple is shipping OS 10.4.4 right now...which I've read is not even compatible yet. I just don't feel like dealing with the hassles of it all. The only reason I'm considering is for the simple fact that I don't want my rig to "out-dated" and be unable to buy new plug-ins in the future because they might not be supported by 6.X any longer.

Has anyone had any nightmares?

I'm most specifically afraid because of my Waves bundle. And I don't buy into that WUP concept.

Thanks.
Old 02-11-2006, 06:41 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 7 users.

Hi,

I am using 10.4.4 with protools 7 - I have only seen improvements to 7 in comparison 6.9.2 - my system HD3 dual 2.3 GHZ never crashes - and i am smiling every day i launch PT 7

I did not experience any hazzle at all doing the upgrade. However, 10.3 Panther was a nice smooth OS and I liked it - there are a couple of improvements in tiger - but also a couple of bugs....... I personally hate the spotlight thang but there are ways to disable that if one wishes....other than that - all I can say is - dont just upgrade out a fear of being outdated if your current system is smoothly runnin....if u need to upgr. cuz of enhancements that u cant do without - in my oppinion : there are no real disadvantages going to 10.4.4 - I might wanna use a little more RAM that half a GIG - I my self have 4.5 installed and find it to be a little lame sometimes.....
Old 02-11-2006, 06:57 AM

Hi,

Most definately back-up your current system folder to a back-up drive using CCC(carbon copy cloner) or similar. This guarantees you will always have all your plugins and plugins settings! plus any other files that you may need to recall at any time. also this will be a bootable version of PT if you need to go back at any time? this is sometimes needed to prepare sessions for crossing over to version 7!

How have you currenty got your waves authorised? as i understand it, as long as you have the original drive they were authorized to, they will still work in tiger, ask others who have done this!! as mine are ilok now.

Definately move up to 7 it is better in every way.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:11 AM

Quote:
If I do the whole upgrade thing...am I going to lose some of my plug-ins?
This is up to you to check, however start here
http://www.digidesign.com/developers/plugin_info/

As to system upgrading this is how I did it the safe way
I use a old G4 450AGP pumped up to 1.2 GHz, with a external SB chassis with HD3 accel system

1 - Mainly when going to OSX I upgraded all plugs to iLok compatibility, and the rest when going to Panther and now Tiger. NO MORE Disc based authorizations. This is really important Why ? well here comes point 2...

2 - I now use carbon copy cloner everytime a new combination of MacOS/PT comes along

The method :
a) Clone system disc onto firewire disc
b) Boot from clone
c) Update system and pro tools on this clone
d) Check thoroughly if everything is ok during several days opening big sessions, recording etc.
e) If OK, then reboot from original system disk
e) Clone again the system (so as to keep a version of the old trusted system, you never know) on external disk
f) redo all the updates on system disk

This sounds paranoid ? no it is just a method to ensure reversability, important when you depend on your Pro Tools...

With version 7, things go quite easier because I finally got rid of the last disc based authorization by upgrading Autotune, so everything is now ilok

So I did as above, only this time, as 7.1 worked well, I still cloned the old OS10.4.2 /PT_6.9.3 combination on a third disk for safety, BUT I then proceded to clone the 10.4.3/PT_7.1 combination that I had installed in point c) right back onto my system disk and it worked!

My own tests and infos from reputable sources has shown that Tiger is really good.
Even my SCSI works better after some very bad problems with Panther.

BUT before even installing Tiger get info on how to disable Spotlight & indexing as soon as the installation is finished with tools like Spotless, before even connecting data drives. This is ESSENTIAL.

I have also been told that OS9 and Tiger do not mix well, so once in Tiger, better forget OS9 once and for all.
good luck
Pro Tools Ultimate & Carbon
M2 Max Studio
Old 02-11-2006, 07:36 AM

to add to the suggestions here...

you can find and download the 10.4.3 combo updater on the apple site; go to downloads and do a search. boot from the toger DVD and install 10.4.0 , then use the 10.4.3 updater.

your plug ins you have to be very careful about. you will need PT7 compatible versions. as to WAVES, i don't have any, so i don't know what works with what, but double-check your current version with what you will need.... you may need to get your WUP up to date if you need the PT7 comp versions.

most virtual instruments have some kind of disk based authorization process. you will need to do this again. with natiuve instruments, you have to create another activation. i was able to keep one old one, tied tied to my old machine id in case i need to go back.

i recently discoverd that if you have any APPLE PRO apps -- and i suppose other apps -- you ought to erase and install tiger and not migrate, but re-install everything from the original install disks.

i find TIGER snappier. i am just getting into PT7, but i have been able to open old sessions with minimal pain and then work away.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 02-11-2006, 08:03 AM

Quote:
I'm most specifically afraid because of my Waves bundle. And I don't buy into that WUP concept.
You didn't mention what version of Waves software you got before your upgrading privileges ran out. That's an important piece of the puzzle.

If you are adamant about never again paying for another round of WUP plus the fees that have accrued since your WUP account has been dormant, this might be a good time to leave your Waves plug-ins behind and move on without them. At some point, they will definitely be broken with a PT or Mac OS upgrade unless you pay up. The longer you wait to upgrade your Waves software, the more you'll have to pay, so there's no economic advantage to holding off paying up your WUP.

It's not good to live in fear of your life.

BTW, depending on what kind of plug-ins you're running, you might want to consider adding more RAM to your system.

Lee Blaske
Old 02-11-2006, 08:34 AM

lee is right

FEAR NOT

i'm using a 933 quicksilver in HD 4 waves plat

1.5g of RAM.....all is well indeed!

7.1cs4 with the cross fades fixed ROCKS. and I AM using 10.4.4 with NO issues.

get yourself another drive and clone your present one you have now...upgrade the new drive not the old one ...think positive you are gonna dig it.

if you don't like it go back to your old drive. i very much doubt you will but your butt will be covered.

God is blessing you right NOW.

Old 02-11-2006, 08:37 AM

Quote:

dude you have to spend money to make money

it is the Divine Law of circulation.

get it and move on.....

Old 02-14-2006, 10:18 AM

mr. ghosts, i thought you swore by logic, you certainly got me straightened out on using tdm on it. any chance of getting a repeat of that incredibly good file you wrote in october 2004 on setting up the tdm mixer, that i had copies of on two fw-drives that both (!!!) fried to a crisp about ten days ago? was about october 2004 i got that - thought it was posted here but i have not been able to find it anywhere! erased from here? i dunno! or was it a mail you sent me?? i dunno! uno?
NADA drum, Calcutta sitar
Other Acoustic Stuff