Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2002, 07:17 PM

Default NoNoise for PT vs. Cedar for PT vs Waves Restoration

I am just about to plunk down the $ for Waves Restoration. I tried the demo and, like other Waves products, seems to work very well, especially considering the price. My primary objective is removing noise from analog tapes, electric guitar amps and recordings from turntables.

But - NoNoise is coming to PT and there is the new hardware/software combination thing from Cedar.
Has someone here used all three systems (even if on other platforms, if that is helfpful) ?
Does anyone know the proposed pricing for the NoNoise or the Cedar DNS2000. The Cedar looks really cool, especially since it won't sap any ProTools DSP.
Old 05-17-2002, 10:25 PM

Default Re: NoNoise for PT vs. Cedar for PT vs Waves Restoration

I don't know about this exactly Cedar model, but the last time I was in a Pro Master facilit the guy used a Cedar unity on a noise/problematic song and I was amazed with the result. You should try it.
Old 05-17-2002, 11:00 PM

No noise is absolutely great. Counting the days to be able to buy it.

I own a little Cedar hardware (model 1000) that was hard at work during the post of the local version of "Survivor" down here. It did well, but no comparison with Nonoise.

Waves restoration bundle is nice for the money. I tried the demos, but in my opinion not close to NN.

I also have a DINR plug in that still have some uses, but i think Nonoise is the real tiket, if (a BIG IF) the PT version is as good as the Sonic one.

Besides, they have a "de-distorsion" module o that is great. I always wonder why no other company codes something like it. There's a tremendous market for fixing distorted material on location sound.

Cheers
Ric

PD: No, I do not work for Sonic.
Old 05-18-2002, 03:49 PM

The company I work for uses all three. They're all great tools, with strengths in different areas-The Sonic Stuff is undeniably the best, but also the costliest. I am not sure that the Sonic Plug-In will be as good, but we'll see. Right now it's vapor ware. The Cedar is Outstanding at removing wind noise & hum, but doen't do an "E" type distortion correction. It also doesn't do declick. although you could set the filters to kill it, it's not quite the same. The waves bundle is the least expensive, and does a decent job for light jobs-for your application it's probably ok.
Waves-$1200
Cedar-$5000
Sonic Plug $2000 (Only on PT HD)
Sonic system-$27000 (this may be goin down, hearing rumors about Sonic reducing price on No Noise Option...)
Old 05-18-2002, 07:38 PM

Well Mr the Chineese is aware of all the prices and options(my perception)

To my experience I've only tried Waves Demo for a tape transfer from a live show and the X-Noise plug-in(Waves) did quite a good job. So for me if I had to get some projects like this one from time to time(4-10 a year) I vould go for Waves Restoration.

Higher than that maybe look for the Others.

It always depends on how much mileage you go with your budgets! if we follow the efficiency/price ratio.

I'm curious in the de-noise department, witch from Cedar or Sonic is the most efficient.

I know that Cedar has a special "thing or software" that can correct the bad alzinuth recorded from tape, so you can re-align the samples up to a 120th of a sample!

That quite impressive figures!!
Old 05-19-2002, 09:02 PM

Oups I said 1/120th of a sample resolution, but is is in fact 1/100th of a sample. product is AZX+Alzimuth corrector(standalone unit) and Phase ant time corrector(for Windows)
Old 05-20-2002, 02:23 AM

Thanks all. I guess I'm still undecided. But, If I need to get something to work in the next month or two it'll have to be Waves since it is already released, is the cheapest, and I haven't got my HD yet. Hopefully I'll be able to hear the other two though. We are also considering a TC System 6000 for other reasons - have any of you used its denoiser - I've heard good things about it.