Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2009, 10:15 AM

Default file management issue - pasting duplicate files

MS Windows asks you if you want to replace duplicate files when copy & pasting from one folder to another, (huge time saver) but mac does not...it automatically generates a copy and adds the extension number 2 to a file name.

i'm trying to consolidate all my audio files, because every time i "save copy in" , it only saves the files used in that mix, and not files that were used in previous mixes. since i work with multiple drives, i tend to end up with numerous folders of the same song, when really i just need one folder with all the audio files for all mixes, keeping multiple ptf files. cleaning up this mess is becoming a nitemare. any advice is greatly appreciated..thanks.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:03 PM

Default Re: file management issue - pasting duplicate files

If I understand correctly you have files in another folder that relate to the current session. The best way to deal with this is to use the 'Copy and relink" feature of Digibase in Pro Tools. Open the Session browser and then look at the Path for all the files currently in the session and which are not in the session folder, simply select the files not in the current session folder and use the "copy and relink" menu item, this will copy the files to the session audio files folder and relink then so the session will now know where the files are. This should make it easier to manage your sessions.
Hope this helps
Simon L.