Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2008, 07:21 PM

Default can automator find duplicate files for me on a hard drive

I have a firewire hard drive with hundreds of gigabytes of data in many many different nested folders from various pro tools sessions

there is no doubt that I have MANY duplicates of the same exact file on this hard drive (the reason this happened is because I was not the sole person on this specific project -- had that been the case, I never would have this issue)

aaaaanyways......

can automator find these duplicates for me and make me a list so I can delete the duplicates without spending hours and hours searching for these on my own?

I have Tiger and Leopard on different machines so I can use automator on either if one is more advanced.

thank you if you know how to do this
PT Ultimate
Old 02-13-2008, 09:31 PM

Default Re: can automator find duplicate files for me on a hard driv

Haven't tried Automator to do this sort of thing but I've been using File Buddy for this for years. It's a general purpose file utility for the Mac. It has a compare function for finding duplicate files and will allow you to move or delete duplicates after finding them. There may be other utilities for this too. File Buddy can be demoed for a while, so you can see if it's useful for you. I don't have any relationship with the company other than happy customer.

http://www.skytag.com/filebuddy/

Doug