How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 05-02-2022, 10:56 PM

Default Re: New "Mac Studio" from Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Carnes View Post
It's clear you'll have to stream in a lot more of the instruments. You'll probably have to lower the amount of the samples that you pre-buffer. So a lot really depends on how quickly and efficiently you can get your samples off whatever medium you have to store them. I'm very curious about how well this will work.
Indeed. I’ve taken a long hard look at the Mac Studio, mainly so I can get off the Intel boat and move on my 2019 Mac Pro while it still has some value. Also the single core performance with Apple Silicon is so much better on paper.

The bottleneck seems to be sample storage via Thunderbolt though. The Mac Pro still has a big advantage here with internal PCIe so I’m sticking with it for now.

I’m speculating wildly here but I wouldn’t be surprised if Apple Silicon Mac Pros don’t have PCIe slots, especially if future chips have more powerful GPUs and a lot more RAM. I’m making an uneducated guess that additional storage will be in the form of Apple’s own proprietary NVMe. If you do want PCIe expansion Apple will expect you to do it externally via Thunderbolt.
Old 05-02-2022, 11:18 PM

Oh I'll put my money on PCIe slots in he new Mac Pro... I expect that to largely define the "Mac Pro". Lots of folks want PCIe slots, for storage and options cards not just HDX cards. I mean how are you supposed to get 400 Gbit Ethernet into one of these boxes ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PCIe hanging off a chip stuck between the Ultra chips? Or a variant based on a M2? But will it be PCIe 3? 4? 5? (better be at least 4) and how many lanes???

And yes then having PCIe slot to M.2 adapters will give gobs of storage performance. Eagerly waiting on seeing what is announced at WWDC.
Old 05-02-2022, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
Emu Ultras
Blast from the past. We were heavily into those as well. The best orchestral sounds at that time. The flakiest storage I've ever dealt with -- I bet we mistakenly wiped the entire samples hard drive three times just trying to get betas of its earliest sample librarian to work. First message it sent out through SCSI, boom! Everything, gone.
Old 05-03-2022, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Blast from the past. We were heavily into those as well. The best orchestral sounds at that time. The flakiest storage I've ever dealt with -- I bet we mistakenly wiped the entire samples hard drive three times just trying to get betas of its earliest sample librarian to work. First message it sent out through SCSI, boom! Everything, gone.
Yep. I used to backup to 230MB optical disks. Took forever.
Old 05-03-2022, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Oh I'll put my money on PCIe slots in he new Mac Pro... I expect that to largely define the "Mac Pro". Lots of folks want PCIe slots, for storage and options cards not just HDX cards. I mean how are you supposed to get 400 Gbit Ethernet into one of these boxes ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PCIe hanging off a chip stuck between the Ultra chips? Or a variant based on a M2? But will it be PCIe 3? 4? 5? (better be at least 4) and how many lanes???

And yes then having PCIe slot to M.2 adapters will give gobs of storage performance. Eagerly waiting on seeing what is announced at WWDC.
I bow to your far superior knowledge Daryl. Roll on the WWDC.
Old 05-03-2022, 05:10 PM

Great advice in the PT Expert article Marsdy & Darryl!
OS Monterey
ProTools Ultimate 2022.4
Presonus Quantum 4848
Mac Studio M1 10 Core, 64gig RAM
Sonnet Echo dual NVMe TB Dock
Blackmagic Decklink 3G
Old 05-03-2022, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kings79 View Post
Yeah I was reading the article this morning and saw Darryl and thought, "Wow! There you go!" Then I saw Dave Marsden and was like, "Wait a minute!" and then flipped when I saw Forest Walker - my pen name on Disqus.
Mac Studio Ultra / 128 RAM/2TB HD / Avid HDX Chassis / 2 X Sonnet Echo Dual NVMe Thunderbolt Docks w Samsung 970 EVO Plus (6TB) / Avid C24 / Avid 16X16 I/O Analog / Lynx Aurora 16/16 1/O Analog / Dangerous 2 Bus / Benchmark ADC1
www.glasswing.com
www.richardsales.com
Old 05-03-2022, 05:51 PM

Yeah nice aye.

He Darryl & Marsdy would be great if you could keep an eye on my other thread about what we need with the Mac Studio. I'm going to try and update it with any findings and if all goes well perhaps update the original post with stickies.

Cheers
OS Monterey
ProTools Ultimate 2022.4
Presonus Quantum 4848
Blackmagic Decklink 3G
Old 05-03-2022, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kings79 View Post
Ugh I just saw that. It's mostly a good article but screws up on Thunderbolt 4 having a single lane issue. That just won't affect folks in practice here, at best it should be a minor footnote. You think they would provide a link to contact/email the author.
Old 05-03-2022, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Ugh I just saw that. It's mostly a good article but screws up on Thunderbolt 4 having a single lane issue. That just won't affect folks in practice here, at best it should be a minor footnote. You think they would provide a link to contact/email the author.
Ahh ok. Good to know.

This is the other thread I mentioned.

https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=419238&page=6
OS Monterey
ProTools Ultimate 2022.4
Presonus Quantum 4848
Blackmagic Decklink 3G