Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2022, 12:25 PM

Default Re: Migrating VI's from old Mac Pro to Mac Studio Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
Yes that’s the error message… multiple times for each instance! It was still happening here on Wednesday.

This was opening sessions with eLicenser VSL content which apparently is not possible. That said, instances with 100% Kontakt weren’t loading either.

EDIT: I see there was an update yesterday (Thursday) that is supposed to fix this.
Just for a bit more clarity since I'm not quite following: so you've downloaded the new iLok libraries and installed the latest applications and plugins to go with them, and you have all the VSL iLok assets in your account, and you're trying to open a session which originally used eLicenser versions of VSL products using the newer iLok versions? In a nutshell, you've upgraded to iLok and just want to open old sessions?

FWIW, Synchron Player -- iLok version -- has worked flawlessly since the initial migration, but only after I downloaded all the associated libraries in their iLok forms. Prior to doing that, the Synchron app and plugin would load but without content being shown.
Old 04-08-2022, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Just for a bit more clarity since I'm not quite following: so you've downloaded the new iLok libraries and installed the latest applications and plugins to go with them, and you have all the VSL iLok assets in your account, and you're trying to open a session which originally used eLicenser versions of VSL products using the newer iLok versions? In a nutshell, you've upgraded to iLok and just want to open old sessions?
No I’ve not downloaded the iLok content yet so I went back to eLicenser versions of everything. It’s literally 100s of GB I need to re-download! All licences are transferred to my iLok. I did I download iLok versions of VE Pro and Synchron Player.

The issue is I can’t seem to get clarity on wether my old VE Pro server projects (eLicenser) will load in the iLok versions of VE Pro, Synchron Player and Synchron libs. (Also, will Synchron Player presets load in the iLok version?) Even Kontakt only VE Pro projects won’t load without the “project is invalid” message although I’ve not tried yesterday’s update. I understand that eLicenser protected libs won’t load in the iLok VE Pro but it’s unclear to me if they’ll load once the iLok version is installed. I did notice a Vienna Helper app running in the background but it kept crashing. It is a particularly large project, my template is 200GB!

I have a support email in but not heard back yet.
Old 04-08-2022, 03:24 PM

Quote:
No I’ve not downloaded the iLok content yet so I went back to eLicenser versions of everything. It’s literally 100s of GB I need to re-download! All licences are transferred to my iLok. I did I download iLok versions of VE Pro and Synchron Player.

The issue is I can’t seem to get clarity on wether my old VE Pro server projects (eLicenser) will load in the iLok versions of VE Pro, Synchron Player and Synchron libs. (Also, will Synchron Player presets load in the iLok version?) Even Kontakt only VE Pro projects won’t load without the “project is invalid” message although I’ve not tried yesterday’s update. I understand that eLicenser protected libs won’t load in the iLok VE Pro but it’s unclear to me if they’ll load once the iLok version is installed. I did notice a Vienna Helper app running in the background but it kept crashing. It is a particularly large project, my template is 200GB!

I have a support email in but not heard back yet.
VSL support seems to be backed up at the moment but hopefully they'll come around.

Vienna Helper crashing will be an issue since that's the conduit for successfully loading old eLicenser sessions with new iLok plugins. I can tell you that Synchron works fine for me, though I've not checked presets. I can also say that the Imperial piano presets do NOT load anymore. I can see them, but when selecting one it says not compatible, or something like that.

I think you'll need to get the VSL Helper app figured out before truly migrating to iLok -- it is important.

I have to add that I'm a little frustrated with VSL for stating in their early press releases (emails) that everything is working perfectly. That is absolutely NOT the case, and they know this. While they issued that statement, I was working with them to solve issues which were not exclusive to my studio. A couple apps operated fine but to say that everything was working perfectly... that left a bad taste in my mouth.

I'd also have to say that the person I was working with at VSL was fantastic. Very helpful, and great with check-ins to see if things were working properly after things got squared away.
Old 04-08-2022, 11:13 PM

Quote:
VSL support seems to be backed up at the moment but hopefully they'll come around.

Vienna Helper crashing will be an issue since that's the conduit for successfully loading old eLicenser sessions with new iLok plugins. I can tell you that Synchron works fine for me, though I've not checked presets. I can also say that the Imperial piano presets do NOT load anymore. I can see them, but when selecting one it says not compatible, or something like that.

I think you'll need to get the VSL Helper app figured out before truly migrating to iLok -- it is important.

I have to add that I'm a little frustrated with VSL for stating in their early press releases (emails) that everything is working perfectly. That is absolutely NOT the case, and they know this. While they issued that statement, I was working with them to solve issues which were not exclusive to my studio. A couple apps operated fine but to say that everything was working perfectly... that left a bad taste in my mouth.

I'd also have to say that the person I was working with at VSL was fantastic. Very helpful, and great with check-ins to see if things were working properly after things got squared away.
Yes I do need to resolve the Vienna Helper app issue and yes their support is great! I’m not surprised they’re busy. As you say, the move to iLok is not working “perfectly”.

I wish they’d been able to have eLicenser and iLok versions coexist on the same system so you could migrate in the background. It seems you have to go all in, which in my case includes downloading many hundreds of GB or buying a Vienna Drive and then finding the space to install it. Synchron Percussion alone uses over 500GB!
Old 04-09-2022, 11:16 AM

It hasn't been the easiest migration. You're able to keep both eLicenser and iLok libraries (if you have the space to host all that content), but, yes, the apps/plugins themselves will only reference one of those libraries. I suppose you could keep installers for both eLicenser and iLok versions and install whichever you need.
Old 04-09-2022, 11:57 AM

Quote:
It hasn't been the easiest migration. You're able to keep both eLicenser and iLok libraries (if you have the space to host all that content), but, yes, the apps/plugins themselves will only reference one of those libraries. I suppose you could keep installers for both eLicenser and iLok versions and install whichever you need.
That’s not such a bad idea although the issue is disk space, it’s double the space and half as much again for the installers unless you buy the installer drive. You have to run one or the other because it seems the iLok and eLicenser versions overwrite each other, at least they do here!
Old 04-09-2022, 05:05 PM

Quote:
That’s not such a bad idea although the issue is disk space, it’s double the space and half as much again for the installers unless you buy the installer drive. You have to run one or the other because it seems the iLok and eLicenser versions overwrite each other, at least they do here!
I moved my eLicenser libraries to a platter HD. It's slower, but only there for backup, and platter HDD space is cheap.
Old 04-12-2022, 12:46 AM

I heard back from VSL so some bits of info in case anyone is interested.

AAX is supported by the latest iLok versions of VE Pro and Synchron Player.

The iLok Synchron Player will load presets from the eLicenser version.

It is possible to install iLok versions of Synchron libraries whilst continuing to use the eLicenser versions whilst you migrate. Just don’t install the latest iLok VE Pro and Synchron Player! It is recommended to install the iLok versions in a separate folder.
Old 04-12-2022, 12:31 PM

Quote:
I heard back from VSL so some bits of info in case anyone is interested.

AAX is supported by the latest iLok versions of VE Pro and Synchron Player.

The iLok Synchron Player will load presets from the eLicenser version.

It is possible to install iLok versions of Synchron libraries whilst continuing to use the eLicenser versions whilst you migrate. Just don’t install the latest iLok VE Pro and Synchron Player! It is recommended to install the iLok versions in a separate folder.
Have you tested the opening of eLicenser user presets in iLok versions of the plugins? I know that they'd mentioned that they're compatible, but I'm still having trouble with Synchron Piano's (eLicenser) user presets not opening in the iLok version of Synchron Piano.
Old 04-12-2022, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Have you tested the opening of eLicenser user presets in iLok versions of the plugins? I know that they'd mentioned that they're compatible, but I'm still having trouble with Synchron Piano's (eLicenser) user presets not opening in the iLok version of Synchron Piano.
No not tried opening user presets yet but I have a lot of them to try! I have a massive download of the iLok libraries in progress so it will be a while before I can test.

I have most of the Synchron libraries but not the pianos I’m afraid.