Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2013, 01:24 AM

Default Re: RTAS to AAX Wrapper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
a wrapper would allow poorly done plugs to be used potential comprising satiability
...and really well coded ones as well - so this kind of reasoning goes both ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
I would think its in their interest to sit on this until the majority of the plugs are ported to AAX. Then release it...
TC PowerCore plugins won't be ported, are a "poor mans version System6000", which can't be argued being poorly coded.

Sugarbytes has shown and Avid has stated that it's not a technical issue.

Lets be constructive and talk about options (regardless of costs) -
1) Reaper - comments?
2) Vienna - comments?

..any other suggestions for RTAS/AU/VST that works for both PT11 and Logic Pro X?

Please state that you have actually used the product in a session.
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix
Old 07-18-2013, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
A wrapper is possible. Avid will not allow it. Their rationale is purely financial. You can complicate the issue with theories but they're merely pollution.
Yes and no.

A wrapper is not allowed, and because AAX64 needs a PACE signature there is zero chance. But the reason for not allowing is not financial, but technical one. Avid took a brave stance in creating a whole new plugin platform, which overcomes the limitations that were dragging RTAS back. Let's face it, RTAS performed poorly, compared to AU for example. Avid does not want rogue plugins "polluting" PT and I really like the level of performance and stability that AAX has brought into PT.

So please don't break it. If you want some plugin to be AAX, ask the developer. If many of us do, they will see a business case and create it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Out of curiosity, how long did Apple provide Rosetta for similar bridging? Many years, right?
Rosetta was introduced in 2006 when the first Intel Macs came out, and it was dropped in 2010 when OSX Lion came out.

But it is not a fair comparison because Rosetta translates instructions from different CPU architecture to another, but in case of RTAS/AAX there is a whole different playground. I'm not saying it could not be done, but Avid says it should not be done, and I do agree with them.

Many of us were displeased about RTAS performance and stability, and now that those are fixed I don't get it why we would want the bad things back. And I would say this with or without the mod hat, just to make that point clear.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
...If you want some plugin to be AAX, ask the developer. If many of us do, they will see a business case and create it...
Normally Yes, but in the PowerCore case No.
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Old 07-18-2013, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW View Post
Normally Yes, but in the PowerCore case No.
I feel your pain. I myself have almost everything TC has released for TDM platform, and I have lost faith in them ages ago. There is no way I'm going to buy anything from that brand again, until they release AAX versions of their plugins. That sounds like never to me right now.

That (PoCo) is actually the reason why I made a rule for myself that once there are new systems available, it's going to be Avid DSP or No DSP.

(Are you listening, TC and Waves? You should treat your customers properly.)
Old 07-18-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJamsh View Post

If I wasn't getting free student upgrades I'd have opened the PT11 trial and laughed. It's no faster than 10... and the amount of *new features* they listed which turn out to be HD-only features is ridiculous. I got a couple of fancy meters and offline bounce. Big deal.
It's a complete rewrite. Some of the major features:

Fully redesigned audio engine and 64-bit architecture

New Avid Audio Engine — Delivers multiple times the processing power of Pro Tools 10 on the same hardware configurations.

64-bit architecture — Exponentially increases the number of simultaneous virtual instruments and the performance to handle the most sophisticated sessions.

Offline bounce — Delivers mixes up to 150 times faster than real time.

Low-latency input buffer — Ensures ultra-low latency record monitoring without sacrificing plug-in performance.

Dynamic host processing — Maximizes plug-in count by reallocating processing resources as needed.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
...I myself have almost everything TC has released for TDM platform,...
Then you perhaps can agree with me that the sound quality is superb and if there is ANY way using them without buying a System6000 - this path ought to be explored?

This forum has ALWAYS been a forum where people come up with BRILLIANT solutions . Is Reaper or Vienna this path or is there a road less traveled that must of us haven't discovered yet?

Whether you are on PoCo or just have a VST-synth that is characteristic for your production style - we have a common interest in this!
Old 12-25-2013, 11:30 PM

Quote:
A wrapper is not allowed, and because AAX64 needs a PACE signature there is zero chance.
Does Avid realize that this is the beginning of the end for ProTools? This is so 1934, not 2014. People want choices, not be told what they can and can't do. Plugins are equally important as the DAW itself. VST was successful because it's open to everyone, same goes for Firefox, for example. These restrictive policies are suicide. Look at Logic. The PT market share is slowly but surely dwindling. I sure hope Avid will reconsider these ill-conceived tactics.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:01 AM

All you need is Blue Cat Audio Patchwork and/or Reaper and you can host and run all the VSTs you wish! (64 bit for Patchwork). This has been discussed many times here!

Old 12-26-2013, 11:27 AM

You're missing the point entirely. This is not about what type of workaround is the best, this is about a company philosophy that sadly will backfire.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinghits View Post
You're missing the point entirely. This is not about what type of workaround is the best, this is about a company philosophy that sadly will backfire.
People have been making the very same point and prediction since the mid '90s...