Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 06-05-2013, 02:12 AM

Default Getting rid of whining PSUs

Hi,

the high pitch whine of the Artist's PSUs is driving me bananas. In combination with the too short cable that forces me to keep them in close proximity it makes the "perfect" sound annoyance on my desk. It's like a 12-hour tinitus that I can not escape.

I tried 6 different original PSUs with my Mix and Control that my dealer kindly gave me and they all do it.

Can I safely exchange the PSUs for third party ones with the same voltage / current ratings or is there something else I need to make sure to match before abandoning the original PSUs?

Thanks!

Frank.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:38 PM

Default Re: Getting rid of whining PSUs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
Hi,

the high pitch whine of the Artist's PSUs is driving me bananas. In combination with the too short cable that forces me to keep them in close proximity it makes the "perfect" sound annoyance on my desk. It's like a 12-hour tinitus that I can not escape.

I tried 6 different original PSUs with my Mix and Control that my dealer kindly gave me and they all do it.

Can I safely exchange the PSUs for third party ones with the same voltage / current ratings or is there something else I need to make sure to match before abandoning the original PSUs?

Thanks!

Frank.
mine don't do that, you might have a power issue
Old 06-07-2013, 05:14 AM

"you might have a power issue"
Expanding...
Regulation. Is it in the wall wart or in the Artist series device? (Any Avid tech's here)

Unclean power waveform and frequency can make regulators work harder thus creating, noise (From the regulator) Heat (Can be detrimental), Failure.

Does your PSU get hot?
Old 06-07-2013, 07:27 AM

I'm in Europe as well with the same power grid, but haven´t had this kind of problem. However, I put a unit against spikes in the net as a security measure and when the thunderstorms come in the fall and it has worked well - about € 170:-...
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix
Old 06-09-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
Technically there should be no reason, assuming correct voltage, current and polarity, but I also have never noticed any whining with mine.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:17 AM

I can confirm that there's whining coming out of my Artist Control V2 too. I don't think it's the PSU (that's separate from the unit); might be the display.

Things are becoming really hard for engineers I think, as the other equipment's self-noise levels go down every year. But I'd expect silent from an Avid product.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:04 PM

This article may help.
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul0...nsproblems.asp
I know there was an issue where screens on the Control were noticeably flickering on 50 Hz mains, it maybe be related.