Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2022, 02:36 PM

Default Can't select midi notes after trimming midi clip

I do a lot of midi editing and for some reason if I trim a midi clip in shuffle mode, any notes past the newly created edit point are no longer selectable. I can't grab them with the mouse, I can't tab to them with the arrow keys. If I consolidate the midi clip, then I can select the notes I previously couldn't. But anytime I make an edit in a midi clip, things seem to get messed up after the edit point.

This is behavior I have not seen in earlier versions of protools. I am using Protools studio 2022.7 on a MacBook Pro running os monetary 12.5. This weird behavior happens whether I am in the midi editor mode or when I'm not in the midi editor. Is this happening to anyone else?
Old 08-28-2022, 06:31 AM

Default Re: Can't select midi notes after trimming midi clip

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbm22 View Post
I do a lot of midi editing and for some reason if I trim a midi clip in shuffle mode, any notes past the newly created edit point are no longer selectable. I can't grab them with the mouse, I can't tab to them with the arrow keys. If I consolidate the midi clip, then I can select the notes I previously couldn't. But anytime I make an edit in a midi clip, things seem to get messed up after the edit point.

This is behavior I have not seen in earlier versions of protools. I am using Protools studio 2022.7 on a MacBook Pro running os monetary 12.5. This weird behavior happens whether I am in the midi editor mode or when I'm not in the midi editor. Is this happening to anyone else?
This is a known bug. There are quite a few posts about this. The workaround is to switch to sample mode as opposed to tick. That should enable you to edit your midi. Hopefully, this gets fixed soon.
Old 08-28-2022, 03:53 PM

Thanks for reply. Good to know there is a work around for the time being. Hopefully Avid will fix this bug soon. It's hard to edit midi notes when the notes can't even be selected!
Old 02-22-2023, 12:37 PM

Y'all! I happened upon a workaround/the bug itself. When the timecode of your session starts with "00:" you can't select or drag MIDI. If you go to Setup -> Current Timecode Position and change your timecode so it starts with "01:" problem solved!
Old 02-22-2023, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffeff View Post
Y'all! I happened upon a workaround/the bug itself. When the timecode of your session starts with "00:" you can't select or drag MIDI. If you go to Setup -> Current Timecode Position and change your timecode so it starts with "01:" problem solved!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesbrunn View Post
This is a known bug. There are quite a few posts about this. The workaround is to switch to sample mode as opposed to tick. That should enable you to edit your midi.

Thank you for sharing that jeffeff. However, the problem still exists at certain tempos.
A fix for this issue is available with the 2022.12 release if you are wondering about updating.

I recently went back to .7 (for other reasons) and can work around it most easily by switching to sample mode on the track as lesbrunn mentioned.

How much you experience this bug will depend on your tempo settings (possibly sample rate too).
At certain tempos I can work unaffected.

So far, there's only been one way I experience the issue consistently in .7.
That's to insert a MIDI clip in Shuffle mode at certain tempos. And that's only a problem if I have to edit within a clip.
Shuffling an arrangement works fine otherwise.

That said, once you know what moves repro the problem on your system, you can switch to sample mode on the MIDI track ahead of the problem. Then simply switch back.

Then it becomes as easy as switching between usual edit modes.

Pro Tools Studio 2022.7|Windows 10 22H2|Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen)|Dell Inspiron 3650|Intel i5 6th gen|16GB RAM|Samsung T5 SSD's|Hitachi|Touro HDD

Toontrack EZdrummer 3|Steven Slate Drums 5.5 + Blackbird Studio EX|Spectrasonics Trilian|Native Instruments Guitar Rig 6

Waves|SSL Native|Fabfilter|Softube|Soundtoys|Nomad Factory

Last edited by take77; 02-22-2023 at 09:45 PM.
Old 04-17-2023, 10:37 AM

I just had a similar problem I’d never had before. Couldn’t select, move or change velocity of mixing notes I had created by using the “extract midi to new track” command. Solved the problem by nudging the midi clip by a few ticks. Suddenly everything was editable like normal.