Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2022, 08:11 PM

Default 2022.7.0 MIDI Problems

in 2022.6 and 2022.7 I have had midi issues. Everything will work fine for hours. Suddenly I can't move midi notes, delete them, change velocity, etc. I can however create new midi notes, but once they are in place they can't be modified. Has anyone experienced this? Im not a midi expert - its possible I am accidentally activating some midi lock or something, but I don't think so. Restarting Pro Tools fixes the issue for a while.
Old 08-16-2022, 01:58 AM

Default Weirdest Midi thing ever..

Did I miss a new feature or is this a bug; when I move midi from one track to another I can`t edit it anymore..
super weirdo
thx for help this is kinda urgent

Protools 2022.7 on a M1 Macbook pro with 12.4
Old 08-16-2022, 02:33 AM

Default Re: Weirdest Midi thing ever..

Yes this is a confirmed bug in 2022.6/7 that is affecting others on both Mac & Windows.
Hopefully, it will get fixed soon. But for good measure, please submit a case regarding your issue.

As a workaround when this happens:

Temporarily switch the track to sample mode, carry out your edit and then switch back to tick mode.
(Assuming your were in tick mode when the bug occurred)

I experience the bug in tick mode but very rarely in a new session.
If notes do become stuck, switching to sample mode enables me to move/trim the notes. After which, I can switch back to tick mode.

Try this before restarting the session. Otherwise, you MIGHT get an error when closing the session and lose 5 minutes of work (or whatever your backup is set too). That's happened to me only once so far.

Pro Tools Studio 2022.7|Windows 10 22H2|Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen)|Dell Inspiron 3650|Intel i5 6th gen|16GB RAM|Samsung T5 SSD's|Hitachi|Touro HDD

Toontrack EZdrummer 3|Steven Slate Drums 5.5 + Blackbird Studio EX|Spectrasonics Trilian|Native Instruments Guitar Rig 6

Waves|SSL Native|Fabfilter|Softube|Soundtoys|Nomad Factory

Last edited by take77; 08-16-2022 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-16-2022, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by take77 View Post
Yes this is a confirmed bug in 2022.6/7 that is affecting others on both Mac & Windows.
Hopefully, it will get fixed soon. But for good measure, please submit a case regarding your issue.

As a workaround when this happens:

Temporarily switch the track to sample mode, carry out your edit and then switch back to tick mode.
(Assuming your were in tick mode when the bug occurred)

I experience the bug in tick mode but very rarely in a new session.
If notes do become stuck, switching to sample mode enables me to move/trim the notes. After which, I can switch back to tick mode.

Try this before restarting the session. Otherwise, you MIGHT get an access violation when closing the session and lose 5 minutes of work (or whatever your backup is set too). That's happened to me only once so far.
Thanks for all the info you provided. I went back to 22.7 after reading your posts. I had rolled back to 22.5 after encountering the midi editing issue, but I'm now able to do normal midi editing in 22.7. I hope it does get fixed soon though (without breaking anything else).
Old 08-16-2022, 09:17 AM

Default Re: MIDI Weirdness Persists in 2022.7

Is there a consistent phrase/ bug tracker at Avid that we can use to make sure all of our support requests are recognized and collated? I am troubled by the same issues and would like the MIDI weirdness addressed ASAP. When filing a support ticket, what words will they readily recognize?
Old 08-16-2022, 11:49 AM

Default Re: MIDI Weirdness Persists in 2022.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHKfilm View Post
Is there a consistent phrase/ bug tracker at Avid that we can use to make sure all of our support requests are recognized and collated? I am troubled by the same issues and would like the MIDI weirdness addressed ASAP. When filing a support ticket, what words will they readily recognize?
I wish there was, in fact, some sort of bug log/tracker/reporter. Against my instinct, I opened a support case for this issue (because not being able to edit MIDI completely screws with my income-earning ability), and although I was very clear that this was a new issue that started with 2022.6, that other people here were noticing it, and that I had done all of the standard 101-level, and 201-level troubleshooting on my system (which is still unfortunately an old-school cheesegrater running Mojave, so they jumped to "not-supported/tested system") I still got the "trying to help me fix the issues with my system" "support" treatment, which of course, didn't solve it, and just cost me time that I was not being paid for, but that the Support Techs were being paid to recommend and review. I just wanted to add my voice to the chorus, so that maybe they'd prioritize this bug.

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 08-16-2022, 02:55 PM

ok could you check this: just close and reopen the session - I know it sounds crazy but for me it fixed the problem (at least in the song I`m working on right now)
Old 08-16-2022, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown_BE View Post
ok could you check this: just close and reopen the session - I know it sounds crazy but for me it fixed the problem (at least in the song I`m working on right now)
I noticed something similar. Before I read take77's posts, i found that a session in which midi notes were fixed rigid was now normal. I could now edit the midi. But I wasn't having any of what seemed like a fluke. I still rolled back to 22.5.
There's definitely something to what you are saying.
Old 08-17-2022, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesbrunn View Post
Thanks for all the info you provided. I went back to 22.7 after reading your posts. I had rolled back to 22.5 after encountering the midi editing issue, but I'm now able to do normal midi editing in 22.7. I hope it does get fixed soon though (without breaking anything else).
You are very welcome.
I've benefited from your posts as well.
Glad to hear that you are able to go forward in your sessions using the latest version.

Looking forward to a fix also.
Fixing this without trading one bug for another would make it the keeper version.

Pro Tools Studio 2022.7|Windows 10 22H2|Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen)|Dell Inspiron 3650|Intel i5 6th gen|16GB RAM|Samsung T5 SSD's|Hitachi|Touro HDD

Toontrack EZdrummer 3|Steven Slate Drums 5.5 + Blackbird Studio EX|Spectrasonics Trilian|Native Instruments Guitar Rig 6

Waves|SSL Native|Fabfilter|Softube|Soundtoys|Nomad Factory
Old 08-17-2022, 03:53 AM

As this seems to be an issue caused by certain older versions of PT, has anyone tried re-importing the session data into a new project?

This might be a more robust way of fixing the issue (backwards compatibility may be an issue tho').