Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2008, 06:52 PM

Default Can Core card be placed in PCIe 1.1 slot instead of 2.0?

Sorted of alluded in another thread to a problem inserting an HD1 core card into PCIe slot 2--the recommended slot--in a new MacPro.

Can I put it in one of the other slots above it and still have the same performance?

Thanks in advance. Just entered the HD world.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:12 AM

Default Re: Can Core card be placed in PCIe 1.1 slot instead of 2.0?

OK, I talked to Digidesign. You can put the core card in one of the PCIe 1.1 slots in a mac pro. This doesn't help if you've got three HD cards though. I have only one.

Anyway, digi is going to offer a repair/replacement program eventually to fix this problem. It's a capacitor on the MOBO that is blocking the proper seating of core cards in slot 2 in the mac pro.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:20 AM

I've got an HD3 in an 8 core 3.2GHz machine. It was tricky fitting it but I didn't realize anything was obstructing the card(s)! I'm a bit worried about it now, did they give you any other info?

Thanks,
Pete
Old 04-15-2008, 10:29 AM

Hey, not trying to be an alarmist at all. I got the impressiong that it wasn't too big of a deal when talking to the tech about the problem. He said, "go ahead and try the other slot."

Actually, the card would fit somewhat well in slot 2, but didn't allow me to screw in the brace well so that it could hold in the metal PCIe slot coverings for the above slots very well. If your rig works, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Maybe it has something to do with my MOBO. My macpro was purchased in Jan 2008 and is a 2.8 MegaHz dual quad. Maybe earlier or later mac pro MOBO are a bit different?