Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2020, 05:50 PM

Default Re: Mac dvd drives - region specific?

Of course it is frowned upon, but as said DVD is a dead media. I have no problem having ripped my DVD's to more usable format, I have paid for its private use rights when I bought it. Just don't have a DVD drive spinning discs around any longer.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:54 PM

Yes I watch most of my concert dvds on my computer rather than on my TV. I have a decent speaker system connected.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 06-11-2020, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Of course it is frowned upon, but as said DVD is a dead media. I have no problem having ripped my DVD's to more usable format, I have paid for its private use rights when I bought it. Just don't have a DVD drive spinning discs around any longer.
Will you please tell me why you think DVD is a dead media format? I don't like watching dvd's on my computer if I can help it.

QAPLA!
Old 06-11-2020, 04:29 AM

Your TV does not understand Airplay then? Or you don't have an Apple TV box? Much more convenient to stream the movie from iphone or ipad or computer to a screen than actually have a box that spins disc around until you find out there is a scratch that stops playback
Old 06-11-2020, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Your TV does not understand Airplay then? Or you don't have an Apple TV box? Much more convenient to stream the movie from iphone or ipad or computer to a screen than actually have a box that spins disc around until you find out there is a scratch that stops playback
The answer is no to both of your questions. I do NOT want to be dependent on having an internet connection to play a movie. It may be convenient for you to go that way but not for me and many others. Besides you never truly own a movie the way you're talking.

So you talk about having a scratch stopping play while watching a dvd - fair enough but I've not had that happen (have a player that accounts for and corrects for such things). But how about glitches in the incoming data stream messing up play when doing things your way? Touche I live in an rf hell where anything wireless is a fool's errand at best.

QAPLA!
Old 06-11-2020, 04:50 AM

Missed the point. If you have Apple TV box connected to your TV or whatever screen you use, you can stream whatever from your computer/phone/pad and that only requires wifi.

I have ripped all I have on spinning media and use them streamed from somewhere that has no moving parts. And because DVD is only SD it is inferior to BR and whatever you may download from Apple TV (most new titles are 4K but praticlly everything is at least HD).

If ever I need to buy a DVD the first thing I do is rip it and throw the disc to storage where everything else is waiting to be eventually dumped to even more long term storage.
Old 06-11-2020, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Missed the point. If you have Apple TV box connected to your TV or whatever screen you use, you can stream whatever from your computer/phone/pad and that only requires wifi.

I have ripped all I have on spinning media and use them streamed from somewhere that has no moving parts. And because DVD is only SD it is inferior to BR and whatever you may download from Apple TV (most new titles are 4K but praticlly everything is at least HD).

If ever I need to buy a DVD the first thing I do is rip it and throw the disc to storage where everything else is waiting to be eventually dumped to even more long term storage.
You missed what I wrote: I do NOT have Apple TV - don't need/want it. I have both regular DVD and BluRay dvd's with a total of over 200+ titles in the two formats. That's one hell of a lot of data which would have to be stored on large spinner hard drives so you're back to having a rotating mechanism. All you're doing with your system is swapping one spinning type of drive for another neither of which will outlast the other

Large multi-platter hard drives have their own demons like heat that'll contribute to their demise. Not to mention the noise they make. Do I really need to hear that while trying to watch a movie that has quiet scenes? I think not. DVD drive is a lot quieter my friend.

I don't like wifi or bluetooth or any of that wireless stuff. Even with security measures in place it's not that secure. Anything that goes out over the air is susceptible to being spied on & intercepted. Not for me thank you very much.

QAPLA!
Old 06-11-2020, 05:19 AM

Said no moving parts, but whatever.. we can agree to disagree.

DVD is dead format as it does not have HD picture which in itself is being phased out already (4K, 8K, whatever). If something you want to see is only sold as DVD then rip it once and use it from media that has no moving parts, with original SD picture quality of course.
Old 06-11-2020, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Said no moving parts, but whatever.. we can agree to disagree.

DVD is dead format as it does not have HD picture which in itself is being phased out already (4K, 8K, whatever). If something you want to see is only sold as DVD then rip it once and use it from media that has no moving parts, with original SD picture quality of course.
No moving parts - how does that jibe with your ripping dvd's to your computer. Surely you don't have an ssd THAT huge. When I use the term 'dvd' I include BluRay in that because after all they ARE dvd's.

QAPLA!
Old 06-11-2020, 08:46 AM

Yes in fact I have everything on storage that has no so called moving parts. If I really need to watch a DVD then I rip it first and stream later. Has been a rule for quite some time, only one read for one optical disc. And I hate even that one read.