Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 09-11-2021, 05:22 PM

Default Matching BPM to Track

I'd been working on a tune at one bpm rate. Then, I found a drum loop that would be a perfect addition but it's at a faster tempo. I made a copy of the track, made all tracks elastic, and bumped the tempo up to the speed of the sample but it made it way too fast. So, I went in the other direction by opening a fresh track, putting the sample in it and make it elastic, only to found out that when you export an elastic clip, it does so at its original tempo. Any ideas?
Old 09-11-2021, 06:23 PM

Default Re: Matching BPM to Track

The latter part of your post is confusing.

If you want to match the loop to the tempo of the project, create an audio track and place the loop on that track. Enable EA and choose your algorithm. Percussive or Varipitch is what I would choose. Then change the trimmer tool to the stretch tool and pull/push the loop until it snaps to the bar of the tempo.

Now you can duplicate the loop across the grid of your timeline and everything should be in sync to the original tempo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-11-2021, 07:37 PM

Sorry for the confusion. I'll try and be more clear. I have a tune, a jazz tune. The drums are 250 bpm samples from the Loop Loft. While looking through my Loop.Loft collection, I found a sample that has drums playing with brushes. It is at 300 bpm. The goal is to be able to integrate the 300 bpm sample into my 250 bpm track.
Old 09-11-2021, 09:16 PM

Default Matching BPM to Track

Sure thing.

Follow the steps I outline above and you’ll be able to do it very easily. In this case, seeing as the loop you’re trying to incorporate is faster, you’ll be stretching the loop, so using the time stretch trim tool, pull it out to the end of the bar.

50 BPM is quite a big jump, so you’d want to use the percussive algorithm. You may get some artefacts on the less transient hits in between. Will sound like a fwd/rev alternating loop. Go in and play with the detection points and add some if need be. You might find Beat Detective might be a better option. If it’s just one loop you’re going to duplicate, it won’t be too tedious.

But yes, very easy to accomplish if you follow the steps above.

Old 09-11-2021, 11:34 PM

Your name is in my Will! 🙂
Old 09-12-2021, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasilF View Post
Your name is in my Will!

I’d like to retire in a couple of years. This will help. =P