Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2021, 11:40 AM

Default Instrument track only plays back the MIDI note my cursor is over when I hit play

Searched around for similar issues and can't find anything about this specifically.

Giving the track an input doesn't help, duplicating the track doesn't help, and MIDI thru is selected. What else should I try?

I have the Xpand Cosmic pad on one instrument track, but can't play Cosmic on another instrument track. Cosmic consists of 3 components, one being the Aeronaut pad, and the Aeronaut part in particular is silent no matter what I try, though sometimes the crackle of the other components come through. The volume meters still visually splash at the beginning of the MIDI notes but it's silent.

In my attached screenshot, the track called "Bells" will play, "Inst 4" will play, and then none of the "Inst 4" duplicates will play. Is there something extra I need to do if I want to use the same Xpand pad on multiple tracks???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MIDI routing.jpg (37.0 KB, 0 views)
Version: Pro Tools 2021.7
Old 08-21-2021, 07:53 AM

Default Re: Instrument track only plays back the MIDI note my cursor is over when I hit play

It looks like you are really new to this and there is a lot to learn. Let me try and give you some general info in hopes that some of it helps:
#1-duplicating INSTRUMENT tracks is a recipe for confusion, and here's why: There is routing going on that you are not seeing(and can't see on the EDIT screen). Go to the MIX window and go to VEIW>Mix Window Views and check "instruments". This will add info at the top of all INSTRUMENT tracks showing the midi assignment(IOW, what the midi info on that track is going to trigger).

#2-the INPUT of an INSTRUMENT track is for use with a hardware instrument(like an external synth or drum machine), so it won't do anything when you use a VI(Virtual Instrument plugin)

#3-do yourself a big favor and rename EVERY track in every session so it represents what any given track actually does. I know it takes a moment, but you will NEVER regret doing it(and not doing it will often cause you to rip out your hair, and it will really piss off anyone else that ever works on your sessions)

#4-your issue needs a bit more clarity. Do you mean it only plays back a single note? Do you mean it plays one note and playback stops?

#5-until you gain a better understanding of how this stuff works(and believe me, I've been there), it may be best to create new tracks for each(instead of duplicating existing tracks). That way, your routing will be "fresh" for each track instead of duplicating bad routing

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-21-2021, 06:29 PM

Default Re: Instrument track only plays back the MIDI note my cursor is over when I hit play

1. Instruments is checked in my screenshot. What do you see about my routing that raises red flags?

2. Just covering my bases because this is the first thing people suggest if you google my question.

4. Yes. If the cursor is over the note when you press play, it plays back a single note and then there’s no more sound from that track, while the tracks that aren’t having issues do play back. If you start from the beginning of the clip, all you hear are the 2 other components of the patch, not the "Aeronaut" (melodic) component. If I have Xpand play the MIDI with a different instrument, it’s still off and it isn’t playing how I recorded it, or how the individual notes sound if you happen to hit play while hovering over one of them.

I still have the same issue on a fresh track and instrument. I'm sure there’s a very simple solution that I’m missing, possibly about the Xpand instrument and the way the MIDI data was recorded?

Are there any other forums that would be better suited for finding out if anyone else has run into this?
Version: Pro Tools 2021.7
Old 08-22-2021, 09:11 AM

1. what I described is on the MIX window. Your screenshot is the EDIT window, so I can't see the routing.

2. not bad advice, but I suggest youtube for some tutorial videos instead.

3. what happened to 3?

4. maybe pose the question in the midi section of the DUC? I wish I could help but without being there, its tough(and my midi knowledge is a bit limited)

How are you getting midi notes on the tracks? Keyboard controller? Mouse? Have you added the Instrument view on the MIX window to check the routing?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave