Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2022, 09:07 AM

Default MTRX Studio Network Settings

I recently bought a MTRX studio together with a AVID dock and the Avid control app on an iPad.
In the MTRX_Studio_Installation_Guide, there is very little about configuring the MTRX Studio Network settings and assigning the IP addresses, specifically concerning different IP addresses for the Main CPU and the Dante Card in the device's network settings.
The Installation Guide on p19 recommends to use separate networks for EuCon and to connect all other network devices to a separate Network Interface (for MTRX Studio/DADman, Dante audio, local network, internet, and so on).

How can I connect different networks to the MTRX Studio?
Do I have to create different VLANs on my Switch? Like 192.168.1.1 for the Main board and 192.168.2.1 for the DANTE Card? How does MTRX differentiate between these two networks sent over a single CAT cable?

Is it preferable to use static IP addresses? Because when I use DHCP it seems that MTRX studio always gets IP addresses from the same network for both (Main CPU and Dante card) like 192.168.1.50 and 192.168.1.2?

Please forgive me if my questions sound dumb, but I'm new to network issues.

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-18-2022, 07:05 PM
Avid

Default Re: MTRX Studio Network Settings

Greetings,

With a small configuration of a few EuControl based surfaces and a MTRX Studio you can certainly converge everything onto a single network - ideally fed by a DHCP server.

Best practices, and for situations where IP audio needs expand, you should separate the EUCON and MTRX / IP Audio networks into different subnets which you could certainly do with a managed switch.

For larger IP audio applications - I would suggest an Audinate approved managed switch such as the SG350 series for example.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 04-19-2022, 08:59 AM

Thanks Jeff,

So far, my network is not that big, but growing

Actually, part of my new set-up is a Cisco SG350X-24P.
So, if you could give me some advise on how to set MTRX Studio up the "correct" way, i.e. separating EuCon from IP Audio (Dante), I'd really appreciate it. I'll have a video call from a Cisco adviser tomorrow who hopefully can help me to configure my Switch accordingly.

Would you use VLANs to connect to the different subnets (networks) on MTRX Studio?
Do you use one of the Ethernet connectors for EuCon and the other for IP Audio or am I misunderstanding something?
Is (or should) the IP address shown in the device list (be) the same that's called Main CPU when you open the Network settings menu?

Being an old fashioned Audio guy I haven't dealt a lot with networks etc. before. I'm willing to learn, but unfortunately, the MTRX_Studio_Installation_Guide is not very clear in that context in my opinion as a network novice.

So, your help and advise is more than welcome.

Thank you.

Heinz
Old 04-19-2022, 09:09 AM
Avid

One very important (and confusing) topic is with regard to EUCON v MTRX and how to separate these networks. The MTRX and MTRX studio devices can operate in either switched or redundant modes. The vast majority of studio applications for these devices are almost always in switched mode. For critical broadcast workflows - redundant fallover mode can be enabled - where the primary and secondary IP Audio networks are established based on Audinate's guidelines.

So - Switched mode is what I would recommend for your application. With that said, a single ethernet connection should be made from your MTRX to your managed switch for the defined IP Audio/Dante/MTRX subnet.

The DADman application essentially bridges the Dante/MTRX network and the Surface network when EUCON is enabled under Settings. So it is not necesserry or advisable to connect your physical MTRX hardware directly to the surface network - which lives on a different subnet.

Hope this makes sense.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 04-19-2022, 12:16 PM

I think it makes sense, but just to make sure that I understand you correctly:

The MTRX Studio should be on the IP Audio (Dante) Network, correct? Let it be 192.168.1.XXX, it retrieves the EuCon data from within the IP Audio (Dante) Network through the bridging ability of the DADman application. The EuCon control devices (AVID Dock, Control App and other EuCon Control Units) would be fed from a different Network (Subnet), e.g. 192.168.2.XXX. Every single EuCon device is connected individually to a (Eucon Subnet configured) port on the Switch?

On top of that, both networks should be separated from the Router which provides Internet access.

The different Subnets would be configured by VLANs in the Switch management.

Please correct me if I'm wrong or confirm.

Thanks.

Heinz
Old 04-19-2022, 12:49 PM
Avid

Yes, correct. MTRX/Dante = 192.168.1.xxx, EUCON = 192.168.2.xxx, WAN/LAN should be on another network / NIC.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 04-19-2022, 02:15 PM

Thanks a lot, Jeff.

Best regards
Heinz

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2022, 11:28 AM

Hi Jeff,

I’ve tried to set up my system as advised by you, but somehow I don’t get it working that way.

I can’t get a connection to MTRX if I try to match the network of the Dante Port in the device’s network settings. The unit only connects with the matching IP of MTRX Studio‘s „Main CPU“.

Also, I loose connection to my EuCon devices if they are not on the same network as MTRX‘s „Main CPU“ IP-address.

I tried to achieve the set-up with VLANs on my switch.

Any clue where the mistake could be?

Is the „Main CPU“ network the one for the EuCon network?

Heinz

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2022, 12:01 PM
Avid

Main CPU, Dante and your Workstation need to have unique IP addresses but on the same subnet.

All EUCON devices + Workstation NIC2 need to have unique IP addresses but on the same second subnet. Feel free to PM me if your are still stuck.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 04-29-2022, 11:47 AM

hi! just a few questions
I have a matrix studio running a 128 and 64 channel card on a three man setup, the external word clock is a Big Ben and I have the Dante Marx 64 card set as preferred leader in my Dante controller. yet I have very random dropouts and my log says it can't elevate the Mtrx 64 to clock leader. I know you guys would prob need more info about my system to really sus out what's going on. let me know any info you will need and I will get it